Turn The Other Cheek?

Mon Feb 17 12:15:12 MST 2003

Dulles was an Irishmen using the Irish definition of diplomacy.  It is
frequently used with respect to the occupying army which maintains
martial law in Northern Ireland.

Powell needs to learn such diplomacy and use it frequently in Europe.

CWSIV

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 12:33:57 -0600 "Kenneth E. Wyman"
<kewcomm1 at IX.NETCOM.COM>
Subject:  Secretary of State Powell at the U.N.

Watching Mr.  Powell react to the French verbal slap across his head at
Blix's "U.N.  dog and pony show" it appears that he believes "in turning
the other cheek" with an astonishingly tepid "we are all friends"
response.

Mr.Powell evidently doesn't understand the "wisdom" of John Foster
Dulles' definition of diplomacy when he defined it as "telling someone to
go to hell and make them look forward to the trip."

In dealing with France's Jacques Chirac and Germany's Gerhard Schroeder,
can we afford such an attitude when our security is increasingly
endangered by their anti - U.S. and pro Saddam veto of our use of force?

Kenneth E.  Wyman "One must fight if only to have fought according to
one's conscience"