Jesica Santillan

John A. Quayle blueoval at SGI.NET
Mon Feb 24 21:13:03 MST 2003

At 10:51 PM 2/24/2003 -0500, wbwhite wrote:

>This question has puzzled me from the start. But then I have no working
>knowledge of the process of allocating organs.  I thought wealth,
>connections, or celebrity status raised a patient's chances of being a
>recipient.

         True in all cases, William and that SHOULDN'T be!!! Do you recall
the hubub when Mickey Mantle got thrust to the head of the line for a new
liver?!? I do! Being a huge baseball fan, I wouldn't begrudge "The Mick"
anything, personally. But, many sickly folks awaiting donors raised Hell
(either in the first person or through their family members)......it got me
to think about it - more than I really wanted to. Like Jesica, Mantle died
anyway. I always idolized Mickey for his skills and his brute strength.
However, I read "Ball Four" (by Jim Bouton) and "Joe, You Coulda Made Us
Proud" (by Joe Pepitone), both by ex-Yankee teammates of Mantle. Both
writers painted the man as a flat-out lush. Mickey, in essence, killed
himself with bottle after bottle of liquor.

John Q.