An Insult To Jews Everywhere....................

John A. Quayle blueoval at SGI.NET
Tue Feb 25 10:45:44 MST 2003

PETA likens chickens to Holocaust victims
Animal-rights activists launch campaign against meat eaters

1:00 a.m. Eastern
By Diana Lynne

Comparing chickens slaughtered at factory farms to the Jews annihilated in
Nazi death camps, an animal-rights group has launched a campaign called
"Holocaust on Your Plate" to promote the vegetarian diet.

As IsraelNationalNews.com first reported, People for the Ethical Treatment
of Animals, or PETA, draws the comparison using explicit and graphic images
of fluffy white chickens crowded into barnyard cages and emaciated adults
and children peering out from behind barbed wire at the death camps.

PETA actually promoted the same comparison at the beginning of the
Palestinian intifada in Israel in 2000.

In a press release, PETA said it launched the project on the campus of the
University of California-Berkeley over the weekend to "stimulate people to
contemplate how the victimization of Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals and others
characterized as 'life unworthy of life' during the Holocaust parallels the
way that modern society abuses and justifies the slaughter of animals."

"Just as the Nazis tried to 'dehumanize' Jews by forcing them to live in
filthy, crowded conditions," continues the release, "animals on today's
factory farms are stripped of all that is enjoyable and natural to them and
treated as nothing more than meat-, egg-, and milk-making 'machines.'"

The statement cites examples of the alleged mistreatment of animals:

    * "Laying hens are crammed on top of each other in small wire cages
that do not afford them even enough room to lie down. [Their] beaks are
burned off with a hot blade to keep them from pecking each other for space."
    * "Pigs are kept on barren, sore-inducing concrete-floored stalls and
are castrated and have their tails cut off without painkillers."
    * "Calves raised for veal are torn from their mothers within hours of
birth and chained in tiny, dark stalls where their joints swell from trying
to balance on slippery, waste-covered slats."

"The very same mindset that made the Holocaust possible – that we can do
anything we want to those we decide are 'different' or 'inferior' – is what
allows us to commit atrocities against animals every single day," said PETA
youth outreach coordinator Matt Prescott.

Prescott has relatives who were murdered by the Nazis, according to the
press release.

"We are asking people to bring understanding into their hearts and onto
their tables by embracing a nonviolent, vegan diet that respects other
forms of life," he said.

As part of the campaign, PETA is touring a giant graphic display that
consists of eight 60-square-foot panels on which pictures of the chickens,
emaciated calves and a pile of dead pig carcasses are juxtaposed with
shocking photographs of Holocaust victims on the brink of death and a mound
of human corpses.

PETA's homepage links to a website called
<http://www.masskilling.com/>masskilling.com which offers a
<http://www.masskilling.com/exhibit.html>slideshow containing images from
the display.

It opens with the statement:

"During the seven years between 1938 and 1945, 12 million people perished
in the Holocaust. That same number of animals is killed every four hours
for food in the U.S. alone."

It concludes with a quote from author-philosopher Dr. Helmut Kaplan:

"Our grandchildren will ask us one day: Where were you during the holocaust
of the animals? What did you do against these horrifying crimes? We won't
be able to offer the same excuse the second time, that we didn't know."

Prescott explains the purpose of the exhibit, which it has made available
to college campuses and towns, is to "graphically depict the point made by
Yiddish writer and Nobel laureate Isaac Bashevis Singer, who wrote, 'In
relation to [animals], all people are Nazis.' It stresses the "common roots
of victimization and violence" and how people can help fight them through
the decisions they make when they eat.

Los Angeles resident Roz Rothstein was born and grew up without relatives
because of the Holocaust.

"Everybody in my family was affected," she told WorldNetDaily. "This kind
of exaggeration is an insult to the people who were mass murdered. It's
absurd. To make a moral equation between chickens and humans belittles the
people who died through the various methods of murder at the hands of the
Nazis."

PETA is known for its zealous advocacy of animals' rights – often above
human rights.

Earlier this month, PETA spoke out against Middle East terrorism instigated
by Palestinian Authority leader Yasser Arafat after an explosives-laden
donkey was used in a bomb attack in the West Bank.

No humans were killed in the incident, but the explosion narrowly missed an
Israeli bus carrying soldiers.

PETA President Ingrid Newkirk sent a letter to Arafat, pleading with him to
"appeal to all those who listen to you to leave the animals out of this
conflict."

"We have received many calls and letters from people shocked at the
bombing," she wrote.

Newkirk has not raised any objection over suicide bombings that kill people.

"It's not my business to inject myself into human wars," she told the
Washington Post.

<http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=29542>As
WorldNetDaily reported, PETA was part of a coalition that succeeded in
getting constitutional protection for pigs in Florida last November. The
$1.4 million ballot initiative amended the state constitution to limit the
"cruel and inhumane confinement of pigs during pregnancy." The referendum
specifically outlaws caging pigs in gestation stalls, which are metal
enclosures that measure two feet across and prevent sows from turning
around freely.

Advocates readily admitted there wasn't a problem in Florida with gestation
stalls, but used the campaign to set a precedent for activists across the
country.

"It's ironic in itself. We sometimes award our animals better protections
than ourselves," Matt DuPree, executive director for the Florida Christian
Coalition, told WorldNetDaily in response to the amendment.

<http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=31211>http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=31211