American Intelligence?

Stephen A. Frye s.frye at VERIZON.NET
Wed Jul 2 06:31:04 MDT 2003

>So your theory is that we should have ignored all intelligence because it
>might be wrong and wait until Saddam put WMDs into the hands of terrorists?

We went to war on a maybe.  By the time we invaded, I had changed my mind
and supported it.  I think I was quite clear about that.

>Before I comment I want to not misunderstand what you are saying like
>before. Are you implying WMDs was the only reason we invaded Iraq?

It sure is the reason the administration advanced all over the world.

>Nonsense. To what end? What is the motivation? Bush is neither stupid nor
>trying to commit political suicide.

The motivation?  Who knows.  No one knows what is truly going on in someone
else's mind.  But it has been my experience that with politicians - of all
persuasions - there are often many unspoken motives for action.  I could be
wrong. I am the first to admit it.  But I just don't think so.

I think that Bush believed he needed to do something after September
11.  Rightfully so.  He invaded Afghanistan, but he could never confirm he
got Bin Laden.  So he did the next best thing.  He spoke of a tie between
Bin Laden and Saddam, the party all came aboard, and he invaded.  He did
indeed get a tyrant out of power, and that's good.  The war uncovered
countless horrors propagated by that animal.  But I fear that we end up
with that "mushy back end" like we currently have in Afghanistan.  I would
hate to see that.  It ties up so many troops so far from home.  I don't
know a way around it.

As an aside, you mention in this post about the risk of Saddam supplying
WMD to terrorists, and that justified war.  You further mention that there
is a risk of Korea supplying weapons to terrorists.  Does this justify war
with them?