older drivers

Jim Nantz jnantz2 at GETNET.NET
Thu Jul 17 20:12:36 MDT 2003

Sue, it's good that your grandfather realized his limitations and gave up
driving.  It's sad that wonderful people get old and their bodies start to
fail them.  This one incident you told tells me that your granddad was a
man of good moral character.  He was a far superior man to these people in
the AARP who fight tooth and nail in an attempt to prevent common sense
restrictions on their ability to drive.  There's a reason some want to
toughen the tests for older drivers.  It's not a hatred of old people that
brings about a desire for increased testing of older drivers.  It's a
proven fact that as people age there comes a point where it's no longer
safe for them to drive.  This age is different for each person.  I might
reach that point when I'm 65.  You might reach it when you're in your
70s.  The old folks who fight requirements for more testing neglect the
possibility that they'll be in the car the 89 year old rear ends at the red
light.

Today on Rush's show Roger Hedgecock said that the 16 to 24 year olds are
the most dangerous drivers.  I disagree.  There are more younger
drivers.  Their inexperience and their greater numbers would logically mean
a greater number of accidents.  A lot of people die before they reach 70 or
80.  Of the ones who reach that age, not all of them drive.

In the states where the rest of you live, what restrictions are there on
the older drivers?  In Arizona driver's licenses are vaild until you reach
65.  You're required to go in once every 12 years or when you reach age 65
and have the photo on your license updated and take a vision test.  Once
you're 65 you license is good for five years and you have to take a vision
test when you renew it.

If I had my way, a road test would also be required once reaching age 65.