Driver License

Stephen A. Frye s.frye at VERIZON.NET
Fri Jul 18 08:09:02 MDT 2003

I have searched through the Ca. DMV web-site.  As far as I got is that the
rules change after age 70.  The longevity of the license decreases,
renewals must be done in person.  I did not find information on the
web-site about taking a road test, though I know folks who have had to do
it, were over 70, and had no tickets, medical conditions, whatever.  I
don't know what the criteria were.  I know my mother-in-law failed the road
test, had to take a sanctioned driving course, had to pass that, and then
had to pas another road test.  I know my father-in-law had to take a road
test and passed.

My personal opinion - I think young kids are far more dangerous.  We have
little kids on our street - lots of them.  The old folks come down the
street watching for them.  The kids drive though at 50 and 60 miles per
hour.  I don't care how fast their reactions are - if a little kid wanders
into the street in front of them, they will never be able to stop.  It goes
far beyond this anecdotal example.

The bottom line is that there are a lot of folks on the road - of ALL ages
- that have absolutely no business being there.