older drivers

Stephen A. Frye s.frye at VERIZON.NET
Sat Jul 19 10:11:04 MDT 2003

>You are contradicting yourself. If maximizing tickets for MONEY is the
>issue then why do they "ignore the folks who are darned near running the
>pedestrians down?" That would be a gold mine at that intersection as you
>describe it.

Dennis - go down there and watch.  See what happens.  Then YOU reason it
out.  I have no desire whatsoever to try to justify to you or anyone else
the actions of the LAPD.  They do what they do.  I don't know why!

But I'll hazard a guess -

First - the jay walkers are a much quicker and higher volume.  Far less
effort for the same money.  Furthermore, as MANY news reports have
discussed, it is far more difficult to fight the jay walking ticket in
court than the one for running the yellow light.  That is a far more
subjective call.  The officers don't want the hassle of going to court.  So
they write a slightly less (dollar wise) ticket for Jay Walking that has a
higher probability of not being contested, than the higher cost ticket that
might well be contested and cost them time away from their job (and quotas).

Dennis - do you disagree with me because you really disagree, or just for
the sake of the disagreement?  I have come to believe the latter.
In any case, It's reality.  Go down to that area.  Watch what happens.  My
wife works right at that intersection.  She sees it every day.  Several of
her coworkers have been cited.