Prison Population?

Thomas Matiska tom.matiska at ATT.NET
Mon Jul 28 06:17:05 MDT 2003

Another article blaming tough drug laws for rising prison populations today.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?
tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030727/ap_on_re_us/prison_population_2

Just me or is the article bass ackwards?  The article would have you think that
a rising prison population at a time that crime rates are falling is a
problem.  DUH?  shouldn't we expect crime to go down when more criminals are
put behind bars?

Anybody know if more people are really "behind bars"? Or are
parole/probation/ankle bracelet numbers being used to muddy up the waters?

Tom