Glover Loses Endorsement, Perhaps?

John A. Quayle blueoval at SGI.NET
Wed Jul 30 03:37:12 MDT 2003

[Haven't checked the authenticity of this. I just received it from a
friend. I hope it's true! - John Q.]

SEVERAL WEEKS AGO, our Scarborough Country staff began investigating the
extreme views of Hollywood movie star Danny Glover. Mr. Glover, who is
known primarily for his "Lethal Weapon" films, has a history of making
divisive political comments. He called the president of the United States a
racist, he blamed American policy for the murderous acts of September 11th,
and he signed a petition comparing American soldiers in the Gulf War to
9/11 terrorists. He called America "the greatest purveyor of violence in
the world." And most recently Mr. Glover signed a letter of support for
Fidel Castro.

       At the same time he was signing the pro-Castro manifesto, Danny
Glover was also flacking for long distance carrier MCI, and trading off his
good guy image to get you and your family to buy MCI's products. That's
when we took action, by asking you to call MCI and let them know what you
thought of Mr. Glover's extreme political views.

       You reached out and touched MCI, and other corporate heads listened.
After two weeks of claiming that Glover's ads were some of the most popular
ever aired by MCI, we received an e-mail today announcing that MCI would no
longer be using Danny Glover as its spokesman. Because of your calls, Danny
Glover is being held accountable for his comments.

       We have asked Glover to defend himself on this show at least 6
times, and he's refused. We have had several Glover supporters on the show
to discuss the actor's controversial comments, but they have refused to
address the crux of this controversy and that's Danny Glover's own words.

       You can be assured that Glover and his friends will not take MCI's
actions lightly. Yesterday, Glover was compared to Martin Luther King and
Nelson Mandela. I, on the other hand, have been tagged with the dreaded
racist label. And MCI has been threatened with a boycott if they turn their
back on Glover.

       Glover's name-calling allies have claimed that he is being punished
because he is black. That's just crude race baiting. They will now claim
that MCI's removal of Glover as its public spokesman amounts to censorship.
Wrong again.

       The Scarborough Country-led campaign against Glover has nothing to
do with race or censorship. It has everything to do with an American
citizen being held responsible for his words and actions.

       And that's exactly what happened tin the case of Danny Glover and MCI.

       In what Thomas Jefferson called the free marketplace of ideas, the
lethal weapon turned out to be the truth. That's good news for all of us,
because it proves that we can all still make a difference, if we only let
our voices be heard.

Dr. Ron Skulas
Language Learning Center Coordinator
302-304 University Hall