Saw this on Leno

Stephen A. Frye s.frye at VERIZON.NET
Thu May 8 06:52:16 MDT 2003

>My point was think about all the people in our nation's universities who
>couldn't answer the questions put to this little girl.  Watch one of Jay
>Leno's Jaywalking segments.  This is where entertains us by going out on
>the street or onto a university campus and asking the ADULTS he finds there
>the same questions he put to that little girl.  Of course anyone who
>watches will laugh themselves silly over the stupid answers and blank looks
>he gets.

And all of this proves what?  That someone can or cannot rattle off a list
of names?  Whoopee!  Like I said before, we memorized a bunch of names and
dates in school:

In 1492 Columbus sailed the Ocean Blue.

Holy Cow, Batman.  That person knows all about history!

"The quality of mercy is not strained.  It droppeth as the gentle rain from
heaven upon the place beneath.  It is twice blessed. ..."

Holy plays, Batman, that person knows all about English literature.

I'm glad she was able to memorize a list.  Most actors can do the
same.  It's their job.

So let's see.  By your reasoning, Martin Sheen, who played general Lee in
"Gettysburg", and could rattle off so many of general Lee's past words,
must be an historical expert?

I am far more impressed by someone with some depth of knowledge - about
just about anything, than the surface knowledge to be able to rattle of
someone's name when prompted.

I'd like to see the look on Jay Leno's face on camera - when he is asked to
discuss (on camera) - or even identify one person associated with - Quantum
computing.

Oh shoot - I forgot the rule.  Now I remember:  If one can't robotically
rattle off a list of names, one must be a liberal.

So does the little girl on Jay Leno now qualify as a Conservative?  I'll
bet Dan Rather could rattle off those names.  What does that make
him?  I'll bet Bill Clinton could, too.

I am totally missing the point - if there is one.  Is the point that people
should be judged based on the names they can regurgitate?  I guess that's
as good a criterion as any.

By the way - Dan Rather was the subject of quite a discussion on FNC this
morning.  4:00 AM!  Brutal time.  I hope they play that segment again later
in the day.  It was good.