Saw this on Leno

Jim Nantz jnantz2 at GETNET.NET
Thu May 8 08:32:06 MDT 2003

If grown people can't remember a few simple facts they should have been
taught in grade school, what does that say about our educational system?

On Thu, 8 May 2003, Stephen A. Frye wrote:

> And all of this proves what?  That someone can or cannot rattle off a list
> of names?  Whoopee!  Like I said before, we memorized a bunch of names and
> dates in school:

Apparently some people didn't remember a bunch of dates and names in
school.

> In 1492 Columbus sailed the Ocean Blue.
>
> Holy Cow, Batman.  That person knows all about history!

No.  That person doesn't know all about history.  However that person may
know that Columbus began his journey to the new world in 1492.

> "The quality of mercy is not strained.  It droppeth as the gentle rain from
> heaven upon the place beneath.  It is twice blessed. ..."
>
> Holy plays, Batman, that person knows all about English literature.

Why are you so hostile to a little kid?

> I'm glad she was able to memorize a list.  Most actors can do the
> same.  It's their job.

Most actors aren't 4 years old.

> So let's see.  By your reasoning, Martin Sheen, who played general Lee in
> "Gettysburg", and could rattle off so many of general Lee's past words,
> must be an historical expert?

If he were only 4 years old and could remember that stuff, it would be
impressive.

> I am far more impressed by someone with some depth of knowledge - about
> just about anything, than the surface knowledge to be able to rattle of
> someone's name when prompted.

Good God man.  How much time has she had to develop any depth of
knowledge about anything?  Three years ago she probably wasn't eating
solid food.  Two years ago she was crapping in her diaper.

> I'd like to see the look on Jay Leno's face on camera - when he is asked to
> discuss (on camera) - or even identify one person associated with - Quantum
> computing.

Jay Leno is in his 50s.  Is Quantum computing a subject that was taught to
kids in the public school system in the 50s or 60s when he was in school?
Probably not.  Did he take any classes teaching it in college?  Probably
not.  I'd like to see the look on your face when somebody asks you a
question about brain surgery.

> Oh shoot - I forgot the rule.  Now I remember:  If one can't robotically
> rattle off a list of names, one must be a liberal.

Not quite, however one might be a liberal if one attacks a 4 year old girl
for knowing stuff that should be taught in the public screwel system but
often isn't.

> So does the little girl on Jay Leno now qualify as a Conservative?  I'll
> bet Dan Rather could rattle off those names.  What does that make
> him?  I'll bet Bill Clinton could, too.

Bill Clinton could probably give you their wives' measurments.

> I am totally missing the point - if there is one.  Is the point that people
> should be judged based on the names they can regurgitate?  I guess that's
> as good a criterion as any.

Try this.  there are some facts that people who are adults should know.
Somme adults do not know these things.  Perhaps the public screwel system
failed them.  However a 4 year old knows some of this stuff.

This thread seems to have struck a nerve with you.  Could it be that you
were featured on a Jaywalking segment and teased about it by your family
or co workers?  I think this is a very real possibility.  Otherwise why
would you be so upset?