Saw this on Leno

wbwhite wbwhite at MADBBS.COM
Thu May 8 04:34:34 MDT 2003

"Stephen A. Frye" wrote:

> At 11:19 PM 5/7/2003 -0400, you wrote:
> >For crying out loud Stephen, SHE"S 4!!!
> >Of course she was coached, she can't read yet. The fact of the matter is,
> >she remembered things that I forgot 20 years ago!
>
> My point exactly - thank you for making it!  She didn't know a thing.  She
> was rattling off something she had memorized.  That is no more impressive
> than any other actor.
>
> Heck - I can recite "The Raven".  But it doesn't mean I know a single thing
> about Edgar A. Poe.

    Or "The Raven," itself?  Still it is nice to have pieces like this in
one's memory bank.  Unlike the four year old, you probably have a multiplicity
of meaningful associations to accompany your recitation.  I've been seriously
considering memorizing the Cremation of Sam McGee.  Any Southerner who lives
in the North will immediately understand why.

Bill