The Food Police Re-Emerge..............

Stephen A. Frye s.frye at VERIZON.NET
Thu May 15 09:02:11 MDT 2003

>         Stephen, get ready for the shock of your life............nearly
> everything you've heard about cholesterol is way overblown. Cholesterol
> is a necessary element to have in your bloodstream. Why? Without it, your
> veins would easily shatter and you'd bleed to death internally.
> Cholesterol gives your arteries and veins flexibility by lining them.

Moderation.  Can we get that through our heads?  No one is claiming our
cholesterol level should be zero!  This not an all-or-nothing
issue.  Moderation.  Moderation. Moderation. Moderation. Moderation.
Moderation. Moderation. Moderation. Moderation. Moderation. Moderation.
Moderation. Moderation. Moderation. Moderation. Moderation. Moderation.
Moderation. Moderation. Moderation. Moderation.

>My mother has been diagnosed with high cholesterol for the last 20 years.
>She's never been over 128lbs and even though she's now 81, she swims
>regularly. Her doctor had her on Lipitor (I was, too). Both of us were
>nearing levels of 300. We both have ceased taking the stuff. Why? Because
>the drug doesn't serve a purpose other than making a wad of dough for its
>maker. Sez who?!? <http://www.agora-inc.com/reports/RHB/WRHBC809/>
>Dr. William C. Douglas, one for the foremost and outspoken medical experts
>in the country. Another expert saying the same thing is Dr. Robert
>Barefoot (a Phd in bio-chemistry, not a medical doctor)
><http://www.cureamerica.net>. Dr. Barefoot has flatly stated on TV that
>calcium will naturally regulate your cholesterol and your blood pressure,
>as well. He cites a 20+ year study of people living on Okinawa island. His
>findings are that they don't have high blood pressure, drink and eat
>whatever they like and live well into their 100s.

First of all, we've all heard lots of things on TV.  That doesn't make them
true.  Clinton used to be on TV.

No.  Cholesterol is NOT overblown.  Artery blockages that lead to strokes
and heart attacks are most often the direct result of cholesterol build up
on the artery walls - not because there is cholesterol present, but often
because there is too much of it present.  Moderation. Moderation.
Moderation. Moderation. Moderation. Moderation. Moderation. Moderation.
Moderation. Moderation. Moderation.

Study up - there are multiple types of cholesterol (primarily two) - some
good, some bad.  Also, while the absolute number (quantification) of each
is important, the ratio of each to the other is equally important.

Also - Lipitor will not lower cholesterol (noticeably) without a change in
diet.  It's like trying to take diet pills without modifying what one eats
and expecting to lose weight (in your sleep as
advertised).  Pointless.  Yes, Calcium, and many other minerals will help
reduce/break up Cholesterol.  On the other hand, an excess of calcium can
lead to kidney
stones.  Balance.  Moderation.  Balance.  Moderation.  Balance.
Moderation.  Balance.  Moderation.  Balance.  Moderation.  Balance.
Moderation.  Balance.  Moderation.  Balance.  Moderation.  Balance.
Moderation.

The whole concept of chemicals, vitamins, etc is so that the body can
regulate.  And given the proper intake and amounts of each, it will do a
wonderful job.  These amounts tend to vary from individual to
individual.  But the process can be easily screwed up.  Along with being
very efficient, the body is also quite sensitive to imbalances.  A poor
diet can aggravate and even accelerate - alarmingly - a poor process or
condition.  To claim otherwise is ill-informed and damaging.  Are these
doctors claiming that one can eat whatever one wants, as much as one wants,
and there will be no ill effects?  The body needs lots of things.  Many of
them, if present in excess, can kill.  When present in excess the body
loses its ability to regulate.  That's what a chemical imbalance is all
about.  It can be temporary, or it can kill!  Imbalances have been known to
kill in a matter of hours under the right (or absolutely wrong) conditions.

There will always be people who will have high cholesterol and no
noticeable ill effects.  There will also be people who will have low
cholesterol who will have bad effects.  Different cultures have always
manifested different characteristics.  These in no way, shape, or form
invalidate the effects and consequences elsewhere!

I am sensing in your posts a hint that one need not pay attention to what
one eats, and that everything will just take care of itself.   If I am
wrong in this conclusion, I'm glad.  If I am not, you are severely
misleading people.

Eat, enjoy.  Eating can give pleasure.  But, I believe, we should pay
attention to what we eat.  Eat the things we should.  Eat some we shouldn't
and enjoy.  But try to apply balance and moderation. With good balance and
moderation, the body stands a really darned good chance of taking care of
itself for a long time.

Another really good analogy is the whole idea of exercise.  years ago
(during my masochistic era) I officiated soccer. I'd see some of these guys
come out - most of them way over weight - on Saturday afternoon to
officiate a game , claiming they did it for the exercise.  How silly.  Most
of the week they plant in front of the tube, and then they come out on
Saturday, run like crazy for 90 minutes, darned near die from exhaustion,
and believe they are doing themselves good.  Again - Moderation and
balance.  I can't say it any more strongly.  It's not a black and white, on
off, all or nothing deal.  It's moderation and balance.

If I go out and have fried chicken and french fries tonight - I'll bet it
wouldn't hurt me a bit (other than the heartburn).  If I do it every day, I
doubt any amount of calcium would counteract the fat.  Moderation, Balance.

Training for this marathon.  I *want* some of that fat.  It will give my
body something to burn for those 20 plus miles other than muscle
tissue.  But that's not Carte Blanche to glut on fat.

It goes on and on.  Moderation and balance.