The Food Police Re-Emerge..............

Dennis Putnam dap1 at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu May 15 15:25:48 MDT 2003

At 01:59 PM 5/15/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>   SNIP
>         Doctor's insist on a less-than 200 reading, or you get a script
> for Lipitor. This is utterly foolish!
>   SNIP

I doubt there are may Drs that adhere to this and if you have one that
does, better start looking for another. The real issue is the level of HDL
(high density lipids, aka bad cholesterol) and LDL (low density lipids, aka
good cholesterol) making total serum cholesterol irrelevant. The key is to
maintain LDL levels of at least 51 and HDL levels of no more then 140 (this
is the tough one if you eat too many hydrogenated and/or saturated fats.
For eample, my brother (lucky guy) has a serum cholesterol of ~215. The
reason it is of no concern to him is that his HDLs are ~138 and his LDLs
are ~77 (I have no idea how he gets it so high so don't ask, the best I've
ever done is 68).