The Food Police Re-Emerge..............

Stephen A. Frye s.frye at VERIZON.NET
Thu May 15 19:26:33 MDT 2003

At 05:25 PM 5/15/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>At 01:59 PM 5/15/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>>   SNIP
>>         Doctor's insist on a less-than 200 reading, or you get a script
>> for Lipitor. This is utterly foolish!
>>   SNIP
>
>I doubt there are may Drs that adhere to this and if you have one that
>does, better start looking for another. The real issue is the level of HDL
>(high density lipids, aka bad cholesterol) and LDL (low density lipids,
>aka good cholesterol) making total serum cholesterol irrelevant. The key
>is to maintain LDL levels of at least 51 and HDL levels of no more then
>140 (this is the tough one if you eat too many hydrogenated and/or
>saturated fats. For eample, my brother (lucky guy) has a serum cholesterol
>of ~215. The reason it is of no concern to him is that his HDLs are ~138
>and his LDLs are ~77 (I have no idea how he gets it so high so don't ask,
>the best I've ever done is 68).

Same here.  I cannot get that one higher.  I can lower the bad one, but
raising the good is tougher. - Maybe it's the Oreo's!  ( and Chips Ahoy,
and Mother's Taffy).  When things get tough, I settle for chocolate covered
grahams.

My son's cholesterol is really high.  He was the first among us to start
regulating his fat intake.  It helped, a lot, but it still is too high.  He
keeps threatening to start running, but he's more like the Saturday
referees - though he is not at all over weight.

Most of the men in my lineage have had blocked arteries - severe.  I hope
he is not plagued by this.