The Food Police Re-Emerge..............

Stephen A. Frye s.frye at VERIZON.NET
Sat May 17 08:42:36 MDT 2003

At 09:13 AM 5/17/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>At 05:29 AM 5/17/2003 -0700, Stephen A. Frye wrote:
>
>>Let's see - you don't trust someone who gets a commission (and I don't
>>know many who are),
>
>         Well, how many doctors would actually admit this?

Any honest one.

>>yet you trust someone who markets his own magic cure-all?
>
>         Yes, since calcium isn't nearly as dangerous to the body as
> medication that's been improperly prescribed. Call me foolish, but that's
> just me.

Improperly prescribed medicine is, of course, dangerous - as can be
minerals in excess.

>         Okinawa was were the studies were conducted. So, they are the
> ones who brought the attention to calcium as a cure-all of sorts. So, you
> can go back generations and find low incidents of major illness, perhaps
> none at all.

This tends towards genetic.

>         Have you asked them?

Yes.

>         Opposing opinions, yes. What they market is ancillary.

Ancillary to calcium being a cure-all?  I hardly think so.

I don't believe that any one thing is a cure-all.  I believe in balance and
moderation.  There are also many, many cases where drugs are definitely
appropriate.  The goal, in my opinion, is to find a physician that also
believes in this balance.

Some physicians will indeed prescribe a drug as fast as he/she can
write.  It gets a lot of patients moved through the office in a short time.
I think it's wrong.  On the other hand, to tell someone that if they buy
this product from me, it will prevent disease and cure all ills is just as
wrong.

I will continue to say it.  It's balance.  A good, healthy diet, a good
exercise program will help prevent a lot of maladies.  Other things, even
under the best of life programs, will come along that need the help of drugs.

Balance.

Self education is great - and, I believe, necessary.  I think we need to
take our prescribers to task.  I don't want to be just handed a drug and
shuffled off tot he pharmacy so that my doctor can see more patients in a
day.  On the other hand, I don't want to go in with my leg hanging half off
an be told to add supplements to my meals.