The Food Police Re-Emerge..............

John A. Quayle blueoval at SGI.NET
Sat May 17 14:01:33 MDT 2003

>>At 05:29 AM 5/17/2003 -0700, Stephen A. Frye wrote:
>>
>>>Let's see - you don't trust someone who gets a commission (and I don't
>>>know many who are),

At 09:13 AM 5/17/2003 -0400, some Quayle guy inquired:

At 07:42 AM 5/17/2003 -0700, Stephen A. Frye wrote:

>Any honest one.

         Doctors are beginning to develop the same reputations as
attorneys, these days. Honest ones are really becoming scarce.

>>>yet you trust someone who markets his own magic cure-all?
>>
>>         Yes, since calcium isn't nearly as dangerous to the body as
>>medication that's been improperly prescribed. Call me foolish, but that's
>>just me.
>

>Improperly prescribed medicine is, of course, dangerous - as can be
>minerals in excess.

         I've never heard of someone dying from excessive calcium intake.
There may be an odd case somewhere of someone being allergic to it and may
suffer from a bad reaction to it (or a product that contains calcium - such
as milk), but I really doubt that the reaction alone would kill anyone.

>>         Okinawa was were the studies were conducted. So, they are the
>>ones who brought the attention to calcium as a cure-all of sorts. So, you
>>can go back generations and find low incidents of major illness, perhaps
>>none at all.
>
>This tends towards genetic.

         Maybe, maybe not. Read the book..........

>>         Have you asked them?
>
>Yes.
>
>>         Opposing opinions, yes. What they market is ancillary.
>

>Ancillary to calcium being a cure-all?

         Whatever they market is ancillary, really, unless they foist that
product on you.

>  I hardly think so.

         Your call.................

>I don't believe that any one thing is a cure-all.

         Again, your call. I'm a big believer in homeopathic remedy.

>I believe in balance and moderation. There are also many, many cases where
>drugs are definitely appropriate. The goal, in my opinion, is to find a
>physician that also believes in this balance.

         Tough assignment............

>Some physicians will indeed prescribe a drug as fast as he/she can
>write.

         Too many will!

>It gets a lot of patients moved through the office in a short time. I
>think it's wrong.

         AGREED!

>On the other hand, to tell someone that if they buy this product from me,
>it will prevent disease and cure all ills is just as wrong.

         Unless they have compelling data to back their claims. Then, all
bets are off.

>I will continue to say it. It's balance. A good, healthy diet, a good
>exercise program will help prevent a lot of maladies.

         We don't disagree about the good diet and exercise.

>Other things, even under the best of life programs, will come along that
>need the help of drugs.

         Black plague, SARS, AIDS, Polio, whooping cough, STDs, German
Measles, malaria.............these sorts of things.

>Balance.

         I am predisposed to get intestinal cancer since it killed my
maternal grandmother and an uncle (her son). My mother also had
non-cancerous polyps removed from her intestines about ten years ago. Since
my family always ate well and got it anyway, I'm hedging a bet that calcium
will "save" me. We'll see. If I'm dead in ten years, then I was foolish to
think so. I like my chances.

John Q.