The Food Police Re-Emerge..............

John A. Quayle blueoval at SGI.NET
Tue May 20 07:20:27 MDT 2003

At 05:48 AM 5/20/2003 -0700, Stephen A. Frye wrote:

>>         Scoff if you must, but it works! Give it a shot.......
>

>No thank you. I will NOT try it. It is dangerous. Starvation will reduce
>weight, too, but that, too, is dangerous.

         I beg to differ here, Stephen......with all due respect, few
things put weight on you faster than carbohydrates. It isn't dangerous.
Like I said, I've had great success with reducing carbs and with my
doctor's approval. If it were dangerous, he would've told me so.

>>         Huh?!? Just by reducing or eliminating carbs?!? I can't see how.
>

>You're not trained in that area. That's why you don't see how.

         Doesn't mean much, Stephen. My mother studied nutrition in college
and my wife is a nurse. I've done a modicum of study, at least. I'm not
thick-as-a-brick, for petesake!

>I put a lot of research into losing weight and improving my health. There
>are a lot of fad diets around. For some people, they work. For the
>majority, I doubt it. Most people (not all) are looking for the quick,
>easy way. They want to eat everything they want and still lose weight.
>Cutting back on eating is very difficult. Eating is a very basic,
>primitive, built-in drive. People don't want to stop, but they want to
>lose. Fad diets come along and profess they can accomplish exactly that.
>People are suckered in.
>
>Carbohydrates come in essentially two forms: simple and complex.

         I knew this.......

>In the simplest description, they are tied to glycogen and are the fuel
>that is used to burn fat. The fad diets recommending limiting (or eliminating)
>carbs recommend high intakes of protein. Therein lies the problem.  -

         I didn't increase my intake of protein. I believe we're talking
apples and oranges, here. All I did was scale back on breads, pasta,
certain kinds of cereals, what-have-you. For those who dabble in adult
beverages, beer is loaded with carbs.

>John P. Foreyt, Ph.D., director of the Nutrition Research Clinic at Baylor
>College of Medicine. "Too much protein can also tax the kidneys, which go
>into overdrive trying to process and excrete the nitrogen in protein."
>Over time, this may cause permanent damage.

         I won't take issue with this, but I believe the key word is may.
Additionally, we're again dealing with a rather nebulous term. What is "too
much"? If I see guys like Sammy Sosa or Barry Bonds keeling over dead
before they retire (or right after), that will get my attention. In Bonds'
case, the likely cause of vital organ failure could be steroids.

         I have yet to hear Bonds deny using them. OTOH, Sosa vehemently
denies using them. But still, I'm sure that he used protein powder as part
of his bulking up regimen. It's a fairly common thing among body builders.

John Q.