The Food Police Re-Emerge..............

Stephen A. Frye s.frye at VERIZON.NET
Tue May 20 08:21:06 MDT 2003

>         I beg to differ here, Stephen......with all due respect, few
> things put weight on you faster than carbohydrates. It isn't dangerous.
> Like I said, I've had great success with reducing carbs and with my
> doctor's approval. If it were dangerous, he would've told me so.

The body can only store so much carbohydrate.  After that storage, it gets
converted to fat.  Yes, that will increase weight.  Eating too much fat
will increase it more quickly.  If you keep carbohydrate intake to that
which is used, no problem.  If you reduce below that - problem.

>         Doesn't mean much, Stephen. My mother studied nutrition in
> college and my wife is a nurse. I've done a modicum of study, at least.
> I'm not thick-as-a-brick, for petesake!

Nor am I.  I have three medical practitioners in my immediate family.  And
the upside of that is that it prompts me to do a lot of research.  All
three of them encourage it.  And I did a lot - to the great chagrin of my
wife who had to listen to me.  I feel relatively successful.  I used to
hover at about 215.  I used to struggle to run 2 miles in 22 minutes.  I
usually had to stop and walk around the 1.25 mile point.  I am not about
160 and just last week ran 24.2 miles in 4:18:00.  Definitely not a great
time, but I consider it a pretty darned good improvement over where I was a
year ago.  The Fad diets did not appeal.  Balance and moderation worked
well for me (and for my wife).

>         I didn't increase my intake of protein. I believe we're talking
> apples and oranges, here. All I did was scale back on breads, pasta,
> certain kinds of cereals, what-have-you. For those who dabble in adult
> beverages, beer is loaded with carbs.

Ahhh - there we go again.  You scaled back.  Balance and moderation.  My
words come back to haunt me!

>>John P. Foreyt, Ph.D., director of the Nutrition Research Clinic at Baylor
>>College of Medicine. "Too much protein can also tax the kidneys, which go
>>into overdrive trying to process and excrete the nitrogen in protein."
>>Over time, this may cause permanent damage.
>
>         I won't take issue with this, but I believe the key word is may.

Agreed - but it is a risk I will not take.  Fad diets come out without the
luxury of long term study.  No knowledge whatsoever of the long-term
effects.  Some yo-yo scrapes together some correlations, puts together an
infomercial, promises people magical results with little or no effort, and
folks scramble tot he phone to dial 1-800-you-sucker and jump on the
bandwagon.  We, as a society, crave the magic, instant cure-alls and
results.  We, as a society, are often reluctant to work hard for our
results.  We don't want to wait.  We want them now.  This attitude provides
a thriving - and quite profitable - medium for the quick marketeers.  I am
admittedly skeptical.

>         I have yet to hear Bonds deny using them. OTOH, Sosa vehemently
> denies using them. But still, I'm sure that he used protein powder as
> part of his bulking up regimen. It's a fairly common thing among body
> builders.

I agree - just as carbo loading was (still is to a point) a common thing
among runners.  But it's a myth - the carbo loading, that is.  I don't know
about protein loading.  I'm not interested in bulk, but rather in
stamina.  Stamina is essentially sufficient carbs and sufficient fat - plus
a sufficient amount of strength (though not bulk) training for the muscles.
Yet again - balance.