Food Police

Stephen A. Frye s.frye at VERIZON.NET
Tue May 20 11:06:37 MDT 2003

My point here is as it has always been - Balance and Moderation.  As I
previously stated, I believe that often times physicians prescribe drugs
more quickly than may be appropriate.  I believe that the usual cause for
this is to move more patients through an office in a given period of
time.  This may be financially motivated, but I believe is more motivated
by the horrendous volume of patients and,of course, the insurance
scam/industry.  It's cheaper for the insurance industry to pay for a drug
than it is to pay for time and treatment.

I do not believe in fad diets and fad nutrition.  As I stated, I believe
that society, in general, is searching for quick, easy answers.  We want
instant results.  People want a drug or some other crutch to quit
smoking.  That sounds easier than white knuckles and sheer will.  people
want a diet pill that will make them lose weight in their sleep - so that
they can continue eating all that they like.  It goes on and on, and there
are entrepreneurs and charlatans who are rising to the challenge.  They'll
get their 30 minute infomercial and boast that they have the solution for
which *you* are looking.   And they have reams of documentation and
research to back it up.  Of course, when someone is offering the exact
solution for which we are craving, how much research are we going to
do?  He's saying what we want to hear, what we're dying to hear; we're not
about to question him!

I get up at 3:50 every morning.  While my wife is still getting ready and I
am making breakfast I turn on the TV.  There are easily 40 channels of
infomercials on at that time.  Each and every one of hem boasting the
perfect, instant, cost effective, irrefutable solution to some woe or another.

For running I have spoken with dozens of long distance runners.  I have
read a lot of books, by many authors.  Most of them align along a pretty
recognizable theme.  There's some variation, but not a lot.  There are a
few who are out in some other galaxy.  With enough research, these are
easily distinguishable.  Without sufficient research, there is some really
bad advice out there.  Some of it could be harmful.

As far as health care - well, I put a lot more faith in a well educated
doctor than I do in a TV evangelist.  And I also do a lot of
homework.  Could I have the wrong answers?  Absolutely.  But through
extensive research, I have found a pretty reliable and consistent theme for
health and nutrition.  I believe that reality lies along that theme - not
in the outliers.

Not all would agree.  That's good.  Disagreement fosters research, which
can lead to knowledge.  (I am still researching Federal law that Dr's names
be given to drug manufacturers.  I accepted that on its face, but I'm
having trouble with it).