Cavuto Blasts NYT's Krugman.....

John A. Quayle blueoval at SGI.NET
Thu May 22 21:48:45 MDT 2003

NewsMax.com

Wednesday, May 14, 2003

Fox's Neil Cavuto Rips "Phony" NY Times Columnist Paul Krugman

         In a blistering commentary, Fox News star Neil Cavuto castigated
New York Times liberal columnist Paul Krugman, after the radical liberal
and Bush hater accused him of blatant partisanship.

         Said the gentlemanly and usually mild-mannered Cavuto, "Since no
good deed goes unpunished, leave it to the New York Times to take a shot at
me. Not the Times itself, but columnist Paul Krugman, who blasts me for my
apparent blatant partisanship."

         In his Times column Krugman wrote that "Neil Cavuto of Fox News is
an anchor, not a commentator. Yet after Baghdad's fall he told 'those who
opposed the liberation of Iraq' - a large minority - that 'you were
sickening then; you are sickening now.'"

         Cavuto fired back with this double-barreled blast: "First off, Mr.
Krugman, let me correct you: I'm a host and a commentator, just like you no
doubt call yourself a journalist and a columnist. So my sharing my opinions
is a bad thing, but you spouting off yours is not?

         "Exactly who's the hypocrite, Mr. Krugman? Me, for expressing my
views in a designated segment at the end of the show? Or you, for not so
cleverly masking your own biases against the war in a cheaply written column?

         "You're as phony as you are unprofessional. And you have the nerve
to criticize me, or Fox News, and by extension, News Corporation?

         "Look, I'd much rather put my cards on the table and let people
know where I stand in a clear editorial, than insidiously imply it in
what's supposed to be a straight news story. And by the way, you
sanctimonious twit, no one - no one - tells me what to say. I say it. And I
write it. And no one lectures me on it. Save you, you pretentious charlatan.

         "Let me see if I have this right, Mr. Krugman. Journalists who
opposed this war are OK. Those who support it are not. Says who? You?

         "I'm less of a journalist because I was in favor of this war, but
you're more of a journalist because you were not? You imply that by being
in favor of this war, I'm pandering, and by extension, my company is
pandering to the White House.

         "Nowhere does it ever occur to you, one can legitimately not agree
with you. That doesn't make me less of a journalist. But, Mr. Krugman, it
does make you more of an ass. Here's the difference: You insinuated it, I
just said it.

         "Now may I suggest you take your column and shove it?"

<end>