America's Jobs Are Leaving.........

John A. Quayle Boss302 at LOCALNET.COM
Sun Nov 9 01:58:53 MST 2003

Free Congress Foundation's Notable News Now - November 6, 2003

The Free Congress Commentary: Dumbing Down
By Paul M. Weyrich

         Are America's young people being properly prepared to deal with
the real world? That is a question well worth asking. Indeed, Charles Sykes
addressed this point in his book Dumbing Down Our Kids when he established
eleven facts that Americans are failing to teach their children.

         The first rule is "Life is not fair -- get used to it." The fourth
one is
"You will NOT make $60,000 a year right out of high school. The world will
expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself."
That is followed directly by "Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity.
Your Grandparents had a different word for burger flipping -- they called
it opportunity."

         Too many young Americans have no understanding of the American
work ethic. You see it in stores where the counter help acts as if they are
doing you a favor by waiting on you after they have finished their phone
conversation. You see it in fast food restaurants when the waiters and
waitresses are unable to process your order efficiently.

         Complacency is the attitude that permeates much of the American
service industry, particularly the younger workers who often act as if the
employer is obligated to give them a salary for the least work
possible.  That is a sad statement about our society and its lack of
concern as to the importance of doing a good job.

         No one in this country is guaranteed a job and I fear that many
young Americans are about to learn just how "unfair life can be." Americans
do not have to be given jobs. Unfortunately, the jobs may move off shore.

         Business Week recently reported that more phone service jobs are
being located in India. Why? Economics is a big part of it.

         Just as important, Indians who work the phones are college
educated. They handle requests for service with efficiency and courtesy.
They make the customer feel valued.

         In contrast, the article noted that most Americans who man the
phones have only a high school education.

         That may be but I am willing to bet that something else is
missing: Good manners, proper diction, and the willingness to apply oneself
to do a good and proper job.

         Right now, many of us in the conservative movement are concerned
that more jobs are being sent overseas, particularly high-skilled industrial
manufacturing jobs that pay wages that enable workers to support their
families. The American workers who hold these jobs are intelligent, skilled
and willing to work hard. It is unconscionable that companies are sending
these jobs overseas because it is costing us our manufacturing base. We as
a country stand to suffer grave consequences if our industrial base is
permitted to erode. Government trade and tax policies should not encourage
the sending of American jobs overseas. To the extent that the Federal
Government's policies do that, changes must be enacted.

         On the other hand, customer phone service jobs are not positions
that require a college degree. They are entry-level positions and, if they are
not being done right, then that says something about the people who are
doing the work incorrectly.

         You cannot speak slang. You cannot speak rudely. You need to dress
neatly. You must show up to work on time. You must learn all you can about
the company you are representing to be of real service to the customer.
These are qualities that schools should not have to teach; they are best
learned at home by the example set by parents. If their parents are not
setting the example and the schools are not teaching it, then life may soon
provide them with a hard lesson.

         A message is being sent to our young people by the shipping of
customer service jobs to India. Let's hope that there are enough smart ones
to realize that, as Sykes' rule number eight says, "Your school may have
done away with winners and losers, but life HAS NOT."

         Otherwise, many young Indians will have earned the jobs that
Americans could fill if they were willing to put in the effort required to
do the job properly.

         The promise of American life was the ability to advance oneself
through hard work and commitment. Many Americans have played the game by
the rules are seeing their jobs sent overseas for the wrong reasons. We
will pay a real price for losing those jobs and the manufacturing
capability in the long run. Unfortunately, too many young Americans have
grown up with a distorted notion of that promise, thinking it meant
guaranteed success achieved with little or no real effort. Now, many young
Americans may be in for a rude awakening about the world as it really
works.

Paul M. Weyrich is Chairman and CEO of the Free Congress Foundation.

NNN Readers Respond
to Paul M Weyrich's 11-03-03
Commentary On "Say It Loud And Say It Often"

You have it right. I have written to the White House and to my GOP
representatives about the need to speak directly to the American people
about the war in Iraq to counter the continual opposition of the Democrats
and their media allies. Apparently, the GOP is not listening to the
grassroots, so I hope you get the message through.

Another Bush forgot to use the "Bully Pulpit" to communicate with the
American people.  As a result, a virtual unknown from Arkansas, with a lot
of help from the mainstream media, was able to define him, and, as they say,
"The rest is history". It could happen again.

I don't like the sound of "President Dean" any more than you do, so I hope
the White House gets the message.

Randy Watts

The Debt To the Penny
10/31/2003        $6,872,675,839,106.67
10/30/2003        $6,860,382,879,862.78
10/28/2003        $6,850,042,548,549.47
10/24/2003        $6,847,437,986,849.37
10/22/2003        $6,834,787,133,873.25

10/14/2003        $6,816,232,489,123.39

http://www.publicdebt.treas.gov/opd/opdpenny

"The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax."  Albert
Einstein