Food For Thought -- To the Corps

Mon Nov 10 00:32:38 MST 2003

COMMITTEE OF ONE
FOOD FOR THOUGHT                  November 10, 2003

A MESSAGE FROM THE COMMANDANT OF THE MARINE CORPS

This year we celebrate the 228th anniversary of the founding
of our Corps. As always, it is an occasion for remembrance,
proud traditions, and joyful camaraderie.

The events of the past year have called for great sacrifices
from many Marines and their families. While the Global War on
Terrorism will continue to demand the best from each of us,
it is important that we join with our fellow Marines, families
and friends to celebrate our Corps' special culture and unique
warrior ethos.

This past year, Marines demonstrated once again that they are
the most important entity on any battlefield. Lethal weapons
and advanced technologies provide us unique advantages, but
educated warriors ultimately determine victory in combat not machines.
During Operations IRAQI FREEDOM and ENDURING FREEDOM, our small
unit leaders' skills, adaptability and flexibility produced victory
on uncertain and at times chaotic battlefields. We proved once again
the power of integrated ground-air-logistics teams as well as the
importance of every Marine being first and foremost a rifleman.
Our special spirit is evident not only in battle; it is evident in
the faithful performance of demanding duties by countless Marines
at home and abroad. Every Marine makes a vital contribution to the
ability of our Corps to project and sustain credible combat power.
Moreover, the willingness and readiness of all Marines to accept
and accomplish any mission is central to our success and a hallmark
of our warrior ethos. The culture that defines the Marine Corps is
nurtured by our traditions. In celebrating our heritage, we strengthen
the linkages to a glorious history and recommit ourselves to upholding
the standards and values given to us by past generations.
In commemorating our 228th anniversary, remain true to the spirit
of the occasion. Reflect on our fallen with deep respect, observe
our traditions with justifiable pride, take care of one another,
and of course, celebrate those special bonds that exist among
United States Marines.

Happy Birthday Marines, Semper Fidelis, and keep attacking!
M. W. Hagee
General, U.S. Marine Corps
Semper Fi,

Ken Wyman
Huntsville, AL 35802

"One must fight if only to have fought according to one's conscience"