Heavy Hand Of Gov't.........WOD....

wbwhite wbwhite at MADBBS.COM
Sat Nov 15 17:48:32 MST 2003

"John A. Quayle" wrote:

> At 12:31 PM 11/15/2003 -0500, wbwhite wrote:
>

>>     All good points, Dennis. Heavy hands, in and of themselves, are
>> not
>> necessarily bad. Who one is dealing with makes all the difference
>> (hardcore drug users and dealers? snotty rebellious adolescents?).
>

> Careful, here, Bill. That's veering into "tarring all with the same
> broad brush" and kinda dangerous.

         These two groups, hardcores, strung out on mind rotting drugs,
the other rebellious adolescents (not decent ones like you and I have
raised) strung out on dysfunctional relationships and raging hormones
have reputations for being strangers to reason.  I'm not tarring here,
I'm edging the trim.

>>  Also, who the heavy hand is connected to makes a big difference.
>

> Agreed. However, it's distasteful (to put it very mildly) to have kids
> subjected to Nazi Brownshirt tactics.............

        No argument from me.  As I said earlier, the tapes do not look
good.

>> When it is connected to an idiot or a power-tripping sadist, it is
>> not good.
>

> Power is a strong "aphrodisiac" and invites corruption by it's very
> nature.

        I have nothing against either one.  Corruption is invited into
the human heart by the Seven Deadlies.

>>  When it is connected to an intelligent pragmatist, well grounded in
>> the laws on the books conditioned by the laws of common sense and
>> the laws of human decency, the heavy hand can work out well.
>

> <snicker!>With all due respect, Bill, when have you seen "an
> intelligent pragmatist, well grounded in the laws on the books
> conditioned by the laws of common sense and the laws of human decency"
> working for the government?!? As Jim Quinn often points out, "there's
> no common sense in government. Government is what happens in lieu of
> common sense."

        In many schools, police departments, government agencies in this
country there are still people in charge and in the field who have solid
values and common sense;  they are able to employ judgment and wisdom in
the exercise of authority.

>> The school boards should be able to assert a balanced influence over
>> this matter. And police departments, too, can be influenced
>> positively.
>

> The vast majority of them are staffed with conservative,
> Constitution-loving, dedicated officers.

        This, too, is my prayer.

Bill