You've got to see this.

Jim Nantz jnantz2 at 216-19-216-16.GETNET.NET
Wed Nov 19 03:39:04 MST 2003

Man, Pay Phone Rushed to Hospital

Tuesday, November 18, 2003

EAST ST. LOUIS, Ill.  — A man and a pay phone (search) were rushed to a
hospital after he got his finger stuck in the coin return slot while trying
to retrieve his 50 cents.

Emergency room (search) doctors gave Emanuel Fleming a painkiller Monday
and pried his middle finger loose using a wooden device and lubricant,
ending the three-hour ordeal.

"The bone in my finger felt like it was going to break. My finger was numb.
It was very painful," said Fleming, an elementary school janitor.

Fleming had tried to call his wife, but the line was busy. Two passers-by
tried to help. When they failed to free him, Fleming used his other hand to
dial 911 (search).

Emergency crews and a representative of the company that owns the phone
were sent to the scene. But they were also unable to free Fleming.

The phone was near a busy bus stop.

"People on the bus who know me were laughing at me," Fleming said.

With few options left, ambulance crew members cut the telephone off at the
base and took it and Fleming to St. Mary's Hospital.

"I've been in this business more than 30 years and I've seen a lot of weird
things, but never anyone trapped in a telephone," said Herb Simmons,
manager of the ambulance company.