A liberal's response a year later.

Steven Laib stevenlaib at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Sun Apr 11 20:25:40 MDT 2004

Here is my two cents:

What I've seen is that there are a lot of people who think terrorism is
the
result of something bad they have done, or of something bad their
government
has done.  They don't understand that there are bad people out there
who like
to blow people up for fun, or for political reasons that have little or
nothing to do
with the reality of the situation.  Kind of like those idiots in Spain
who reacted
by trying to put their collective heads in the sand and hoping the
lslamoterroristas
will go away.

I've been reading Barnett on "The Pentagon's New Map" recently for a
book review.
While I don't completely agree with him, what I see is that the
"primatives" (my word)
out there do pose a threat, and a lot of people don't understand that
because they have been
living in relative security for too long.  They also tend to think of
the US as the danger because
we are strong.  They don't understand the idea of responsibility well
at all, largely because
they have been abdicating it in favor of letting Uncle Sam do it for
too long.  So, they fear
their protector more than the bully.  It makes no sense, but I don't
expect it too.  It is
built on emotionalism, not intellect.

Steve