FBI geniuses at it again

Jim Nantz jnantz2 at 216-19-216-16.GETNET.NET
Fri Apr 23 14:38:06 MDT 2004

This was the point I was trying to make in my original post on this
subject.  There are people out there who want to kill us.  They don't
want to make nice with us.  They want us dead.

The people who sell CDs have a right to make money doing so.  It's hard to
feel sorry for them because the music industry has missed the ball on the
information age.  Why should I have to pay $15 for a CD that has one or
two songs on it that I like?  Here's something I've heard people propose
for years:  Set up a computer with a CD burner in the local record store.
Provide customers with a catalog of songs available.  The customer chooses
the songs he wants on his CD.  The employee at the record store puts a
blank CD in the computer and burns the selected songs to that CD.  The
customer pays per song.  The record store, record companies and artists
get paid.

I believe going after music and movie piracy is going to be even harder
than the war on drugs.  If I wanted to pirate movies, all I would have to
do is go to Fry's Electronics, pay $120 for a DVD writer for my computer
and install it.  Then I would have to walk about one block to the blockbuster
and rent a DVD which I would never have to rent again.  I just use the
computer to extract the movie from the DVD much the same way audio is
extracted from a music CD.Once I have the movie on the hard drive, I can
remove the FBI warning and burn the movie to a DVD.

This illustrates something I've believed for a while, but never put into
words before.  Too many laws means too many laws to enforce.  Too many
laws to enforce means too many people needed to enforce them.  The
resulting shortage of people to do the law enforcing means there isn't
enough people available to adequately enforce all the laws.  While this
may be good in some cases, it's a bad thing in other cases.  How many
terrorists won't get caught because the FBI agents that could have been
looking for them were instead chasing after 12 year olds exchanging copies
of each others' CDs?

--

Del Boy for President