FBI geniuses at it again

Jim Nantz jnantz2 at 216-19-216-16.GETNET.NET
Mon Apr 26 23:16:14 MDT 2004

I used to work at one of the local community colleges.  When students
logged in, there was a record kept of which machine they logged into and
when they logged out.  Those who wanted to do something and not get caught
would bring in a knoppix CD and boot from it.  Knoppix is a version of
linux that boots from and operates from a CD.  It does not require you to
install anything on a hard drive.  In fact it will operate on a machine
even if it does not have a hard drive.  As knoppix loads, it detects the
hardware in the computer and configures it.  When it gets to the network
card, it will run DHCP which will give that machine an IP address.  So
once the machine is booted and ready to use, the students could use the
computer without logging into the campus network.  Also since they didn't
log into the network, there was no record of who was using the machine.
Someone who looked at the logs would know somebody used the computer, but
not who.

--

Del Boy for President