Artie Shaw - <Memory Test!?>

Steven Laib stevenlaib at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Fri Dec 31 19:33:44 MST 2004

I wasn't aware that Artie Shaw was still with us until I read that he
had died.  Strange that.  He was one of my favorites when I first
became interested in the Big Band sound many years ago.  I'm glad to
hear that other folks are still paying attention to him.

About ten years ago I encountered a woman in her mid twenties who was a
jazz drummer.  Interestingly she was a big fan of Gene Kroupa.  I asked
her about it and it seems that she, as I do, favor him over the modern
people such as Buddy Rich.  So, even with some of the younger folk, the
classics still live.

Steve Laib