Alan Keyes

John blueoval at 1SMARTISP.NET
Mon Apr 4 09:07:12 MDT 2005

Focus of evil
1:00 a.m. Eastern

Alan Keyes
© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

Ronald Reagan called the Soviet Union "the focus of evil in the
modern
world" (at the annual Convention of the National Association of
Evangelicals, Orlando, Fla., March 8, 1983). The role that the
Soviet
Union played in the international arena then, the judiciary has
fulfilled in our domestic life for the last 50 years and more.

The courts have been the staging ground for a sustained assault on
the
moral foundations of our institutions and the conscience of the
American people. Now, that assault has come to a head in the
judicially mandated murder of an innocent, helpless person, whose
condition of severe disability should have commanded our
compassion,
but instead invited a ruthless assault on her person and her most
fundamental constitutional rights.

Those of us who have been in the thick of battle against the
culture
of death have argued for many years that the judiciary's
willingness
to allow murder in the womb would lead to murder in the world at
large. Now our analysis has been verified by the judiciary's
stubborn
and ruthless advocacy of the right to kill a childlike disabled
person
named Terri.

Under cover of viciously bigoted expressions of public prejudice
against her because of her physical condition, court after court
–
from probate Judge Greer to the highest federal court in the land
–
joined in sanctioning this travesty of justice. Some people cited
this
as proof that the murder was lawful and must be accepted by us as
such. On the contrary, like the Dred Scott decision on slavery in
the
19th century, it is in fact proof that utter moral corruption,
lawlessness and lack of conscience now characterize the judiciary
at
every level, representing a grave threat to the physical and
moral
lives of our people.

Sadly, for some Americans, the assertion of lawless and
unconstitutional judicial authority has now become the substitute
for
the authority of God as final arbiter of the public morality of
our
nation. We should have foreseen their ambition when they abused
their
authority to drive God and prayer from our schools, from our
public
events, from our public places and monuments. William Penn was
right
when he said: "If we will not be governed by God, we must be
governed
by tyrants," and on the bench those tyrants have now appeared.

The judicially mandated murder of Terri Schiavo warns us,
however,
that by their tyranny they seek to expropriate and corrupt
something
more precious than property, more precious than physical life,
more
precious even than liberty itself. They seek to dominate and
destroy
our moral being as a people, and by doing so to prepare us – as
philosophers, professors and public leaders of the Weimar
Republic
prepared the German people – to tolerate or be the instruments of
the
worst kind of atrocities.

Then, as now, the corruption of conscience began under the
specious
pretext of saving disabled people from the supposedly oppressive
burden of living out their lives. By undermining the people's
sensitivity to atrocity against innocent, vulnerable individuals
they
prepared them callously to ignore and explain away massive
atrocity
against large groups and whole races and nations. If the death of
one
innocent helpless person counts for nothing because it is
sanctioned
by the formal appearance of legality, then the death of millions
counts for nothing when it appears in the same disguise – a
million
times nothing is nothing.

This is the calculus of evil. The judicially mandated murder of
Terri
Schiavo shows that it is already deeply in our midst. Already we
find
the guards who will deny food and water to those shriveling with
starvation; already we find the jurists and media hounds who will
order or advocate their destruction; already we find the public
officials who acknowledge the injustice but do nothing, when
their
sworn duty is to defend and protect constitutional right.

Nazi Germany is not the only historical illustration of the fact
that evil, once licensed by the specious pretext of legal
formalism, sets no boundaries to its atrocious appetites. This
latest judicial atrocity is a clarion sign and warning to America.
As a people we must awaken and heed its meaning.

We must rediscover the constitutional tools with which we can
defend our moral being. We must rally around leaders willing to
understand and make use of them. We must now resolve that the
suffering of Terri Schiavo – and the long agony of her parents and
true family – will not be in vain. Terri's innocent life was at
stake, but so is the moral life and future liberty of our whole
people.