"Off With Her Head!" Cried the Mad Hatter

John blueoval at 1SMARTISP.NET
Wed Apr 6 17:00:34 MDT 2005

Hanoi Jane rides again
Michelle Malkin

April 6, 2005

Jane Fonda just won't shut up. And her crocodile tears will not
stop flowing. She has contracted an acute case of Aging Celebrity
Hippie Syndrome -- and it's going to land her tell-all memoir on
The New York Times best-seller list in no time.

There she is on "60 Minutes," simpering about her failed
relationship with her stoic father.

 There she is in the Washington Post, detailing her past bouts
with bulimia and lingering body image problems. (Which haven't
damaged her enough to prevent her from posing for publicity
photos: "Oh, God! Side lighting is not so good for me," the
suffering Fonda orders the photographer.)

 There she is in The New York Times. And Time magazine. And on
"Good Morning America," blabbing about her bizarre trio of
ex-husbands and their various pathologies. Adultery. Alcoholism.
Prostitutes. Group sex. Blecchh. Aging hippies never learn. As
college students, they had no appreciation of the value of
self-restraint. Decades later as senior citizens (Jane Fonda is a
67-year-old woman prattling on, Howard Stern-style, about
threesomes, for heaven's sake), they still have no appreciation of
the value of discretion.

 Unless there are big bucks involved, that is.

 And now, Hanoi Jane is everywhere, everywhere, issuing what many
in the mainstream media have characterized as a so-called apology
for her betrayal of American troops in Vietnam.

 The New York Times reports:

As she has before, Ms. Fonda apologizes for being photographed
laughing and clapping while sitting on an antiaircraft gun in
Hanoi. (She writes that she absent-mindedly sat down in a moment
of euphoria with her North Vietnamese hosts, and adds, ''That
two-minute lapse of sanity will haunt me until the day I die.'')

 On "60 Minutes," she moans:

I will go to my grave regretting that. The image of Jane Fonda,
'Barbarella,' Henry Fonda's daughter, just a woman sitting on an
enemy aircraft gun was a betrayal. It was like I was thumbing my
nose at the military and at the country that gave me privilege.

  "Like" she was thumbing her nose? The woman delivered numerous
broadcasts on Radio Hanoi claiming tortured POWs were in "good
health," calling her own president a "new-type Hitler" on enemy
airwaves, and accusing American pilots of being "war criminals."

 Vietnam veterans see clearly through Fonda's ploy -- yet another
insult to the memory of fallen American troops. Walter Inge wrote
in a letter to the editor of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

Despite repeated claims, Hanoi Jane Fonda has never apologized for
her treasonous collaboration with the Vietnamese Communists.
Writing that it was 'a betrayal' and 'a lapse of judgment' is a
confession, not an apology.

 Henry Mark Holzer, co-author of "Aid and Comfort: Jane Fonda and
North Vietnam," was more blunt on MSNBC's "Scarborough Country"
this week:

She committed treason. She exploited and misused American POWs.
She gave the North Vietnamese communists, with whom we were then
at war, propaganda that American POWs endured unimaginable torture
not to give them, she gave it to them for free. And, indeed, she
caused the deaths of American fighting men and the deaths of our
allies as well.

Meanwhile, Fonda's fellow Hollywood hippie leftover, Peter Yarrow,
traveled to Vietnam last week "ready to get down on my knees as
one American and say, 'Please forgive us'" -- a sentiment with
which the unrepentant Fonda -- who has yet to apologize for those
treasonous radio broadcasts -- no doubt concurs.

 No mind. Fonda's cynical non-apology "apology" keeps making
headlines, just as she and her book publicists had hoped. This
isn't about making amends. This is about making money.

 Me! Me! Me! Hanoi Jane rides again.

Michelle Malkin is a syndicated columnist and maintains her weblog
at michellemalkin.com

©2005 Creators Syndicate, Inc.