Jennings, RIP

John blueoval at 1SMARTISP.NET
Mon Aug 8 05:41:48 MDT 2005

[It's ironic, somewhat, that Jennings should die on my birthday.
19 years ago, I wrote him several fan letters and asked for advice
on how to further my broadcast career. He never answered me or
acknowledged receipt of those letters. - JAQ]

ABC News anchor Peter Jennings dies at 67
Canadian-born broadcaster announced he had lung cancer in April
 FREE VIDEO

• Peter Jennings dies
Aug. 7: ABC News anchor Peter Jennings has died of lung cancer. He
was 67.
NBC News

The Associated Press
Updated: 1:15 a.m. ET Aug. 8, 2005
NEW YORK - Peter Jennings, the suave, Canadian-born broadcaster
who delivered the news to Americans each night in five separate
decades, died Sunday. He was 67.

Jennings, who announced in April that he had lung cancer, died at
his New York home, ABC News President David Westin said late
Sunday.

“Peter has been our colleague, our friend, and our leader in so
many ways. None of us will be the same without him,” Westin said.

Story continues below ↓

With Tom Brokaw and Dan Rather, Jennings was part of a triumvirate
that dominated network news for more than two decades, through the
birth of cable news and the Internet. His smooth delivery and
years of international reporting experience made him particularly
popular among urban dwellers.

Jennings dominated the ratings from the late 1980s to the
mid-’90s, when Brokaw surpassed him. He remained a Canadian until
2003, when he became a U.S. citizen, saying it had nothing to do
with his politics — he did it for his family.

“He was a warm and loving and surprisingly sentimental man,” said
Ted Koppel, a longtime friend and fellow anchor.

Jennings deeply regretted not finishing school, and he would have
wanted that lesson passed along, Koppel said. He made up for it by
becoming a student of the world, studying cultures and their
people for the rest of his life.

“No one could ad lib like Peter,” said Barbara Walters. “Sometimes
he drove me crazy because he knew so many details.

“He just died much too young.”

Jennings was the face of ABC News whenever a big story broke. He
logged more than 60 hours on the air during the week of the Sept.
11, 2001, terrorist attacks, offering a soothing sense of
continuity during a troubled time.

“There are a lot of people who think our job is to reassure the
public every night that their home, their community and their
nation is safe,” he told author Jeff Alan. “I don’t subscribe to
that at all. I subscribe to leaving people with essentially —
sorry it’s a cliche — a rough draft of history. Some days it’s
reassuring, some days it’s absolutely destructive.”

Jennings’ announcement four months ago that the longtime smoker
would begin treatment for lung cancer came as a shock.

“I will continue to do the broadcast,” he said, his voice husky,
in a taped message that night. “On good days, my voice will not
always be like this.”

But although Jennings occasionally came to the office between
chemotherapy treatments, he never again appeared on the air.

“He knew that it was an uphill struggle. But he faced it with
realism, courage, and a firm hope that he would be one of the
fortunate ones,” Westin said. “In the end, he was not.”

Broadcasting was the family business for Jennings. His father,
Charles Jennings, was the first person to anchor a nightly
national news program in Canada and later became head of the
Canadian Broadcasting Corp.’s news division. A picture of his
father was displayed prominently in Jennings’ office off ABC’s
newsroom.

Charles Jennings’ son had a Saturday morning radio show in Ottawa
at age 9. Jennings never completed high school or college, and
began his career as a news reporter at a radio station in
Brockton, Ontario. He quickly earned an anchor job at Canadian
Television.

Sent south to cover the Democratic national convention in 1964,
the handsome, dashing correspondent was noticed by ABC’s news
president. Jennings was offered a reporting job and left Canada
for New York.

As the third-place news network, ABC figured its only chance was
to go after young viewers. Jennings was picked to anchor the
evening news and debuted on Feb. 1, 1965. He was 26.

“It was a little ridiculous when you think about it,” Jennings
told author Barbara Matusow. “A twenty-six-year-old trying to
compete with Cronkite, Huntley and Brinkley. I was simply
unqualified.”

Savaged by the critics
Critics savaged him as a pretty face unfit for the promotion.
Using the Canadian pronunciations for some words and once
misidentifying the Marine Corps’ anthem as “Anchors Aweigh” didn’t
help his reputation. The experiment ended three years later.

He later described the humbling experience as an opportunity,
“because I was obliged to figure out who I was and what I really
wanted to be.”

Assigned as a foreign correspondent, Jennings thrived. He
established an ABC News bureau in Beirut, and became an expert on
the Middle East. He won a Peabody Award for a 1974 profile of
Egyptian President Anwar Sadat.

On the scene at the Munich Olympics in 1972, Jennings was
perfectly placed to cover the hostage-taking of Israeli athletes
by an Arab terrorist group. He and a crew hid in the athletes’
quarters for a close-in view of the drama.

Jennings returned to the evening news a decade after his
unceremonious departure. In 1978, ABC renamed its broadcast “World
News Tonight,” and instituted a three-person anchor team: Frank
Reynolds based in Washington, Max Robinson from Chicago and
Jennings, by then ABC’s chief foreign correspondent, from London.

Following Reynolds’ death from cancer, ABC abandoned the
multi-anchor format and Jennings became sole anchor on Sept. 5,
1983.

CONTINUED: A decade at the top