More On Bob Novak...........

John blueoval at 1SMARTISP.NET
Mon Aug 8 14:09:07 MDT 2005

Novak Apologizes for Swearing on CNN Air By DAVID BAUDER, AP
Television Writer
Fri Aug 5, 1:23 PM ET

Robert Novak apologized Friday for swearing on the air and walking
off a CNN set, but said it had nothing to do with the federal
probe sparked by his revelation of a CIA officer's name in a 2003
column.

"I apologize for my conduct and I'm sorry I did it," he said in an
interview.

CNN has pulled him off the air indefinitely. Novak said "I'll
follow their guidance" on when he returns.

CNN correspondent Ed Henry said afterward that he had been about
to ask Novak about his role in the investigation of the leak of
Valerie Plame's identity, which Novak has repeatedly refused to
comment on aside from some references in his column.

"That had nothing to do with it, absolutely nothing," Novak said.
"I was sorry he said that."

The incident occurred Thursday as Novak and Democratic operative
James Carville were handicapping the Senate candidacy of former
Florida Secretary of State Katherine Harris. Novak said the
opposition of the Republican establishment in Florida might not be
fatal for her.

"Let me just finish, James, please," Novak continued. "I know you
hate to hear me, but you have to."

Carville, addressing the camera, said: "He's got to show these
right wingers that he's got a backbone, you know. It's why The
Wall Street Journal editorial page is watching you. Show 'em that
you're tough."

"Well, I think that's bull---- and I hate that," Novak replied.
"Just let it go."

As moderator Henry stepped in to ask Carville a question, Novak
walked off the set.

A CNN spokeswoman, Edie Emery, called Novak's behavior
"inexcusable and unacceptable." She said "we've asked Mr. Novak to
take some time off," she said.

Only two weeks ago, CNN executives defended their decision to keep
Novak on the air during the investigation into the leak. Novak
identified Plame in July 2003 as the wife of Bush administration
critic and former U.S. ambassador Joseph Wilson.

In his syndicated column Monday, Novak provided some details after
having been largely silent about his role. He did not dispute that
a former CIA spokesman, Bill Harlow, told him he should not print
Plame's name during conversations they had before the column was
published.

But Novak reasserted that no CIA official ever told him in advance
"that Valerie Plame Wilson's disclosure would endanger her or
anybody else."

Wilson has said the leak of his wife's name was an attempt by the
administration to discredit him. Two other reporters connected to
the case openly fought the revelation of their sources, and Judith
Miller of The New York Times has been jailed for refusing to
cooperate with prosecutors.

Henry said Thursday that Novak had been told before the "Inside
Politics" segment that he was going to be asked on air about the
CIA case.

"I'm hoping that we will be able to ask him about that in the
future," Henry said.

Novak has been a longtime contributor to CNN, taking the
conservative point of view during the just-canceled "Crossfire"
show.