It Happened In The Keystone State..........

MCSpearing yuramac at YAHOO.COM
Wed Aug 17 21:13:38 MDT 2005

I caught not one, but TWO of them on the golf course last week in State College (Benninghoff and Herman, both Republicans).  Herman "came to golf."  He voted for the self-aggrandizement and was not discussing it much.  Benninghoff, who, to his credit, voted against the raise, nevertheless complained that too much is being made of the whole thing.  The House Democratic Leader H. William DeWeese, interestingly enough, reportedly is demoting those Dems with a conscience who dared not support the money grab. So far 15 demotions, all while the house minority leader's office gainsays it. Why, heavens forefend!

Damn, but the air smells to high heaven around Harrisburg these days.

MCSpearing

Jim <jnantz2 at 216-19-216-108.GETNET.NET> wrote:
John wrote:
> Folks:
>
> Jose, McSpearing, Thomas M, (and all the rest of the Keystoners on
> thid list) can back me up on this......but, to the rest of you,
> here's *GALLING* chutspa.....
>
> Nearly all of the PA-State Congressmen and state senators recently
> voted for themselves a nice, fat, juicy 16-3/4% pay raise. This
> set off a chain-reaction of newspaper "letters-to-the-Editor" by
> wordsmiths of a royally yanked around electorate.
>
> "You ain't seen nothin', yet!" (thanks to Randy Bachman then, of
> BTO fame). I heard on the truck radio that these money-grabbing
> scoundrels will receive *ANOTHER* 4% cost-of-living-adjustment!
>
> Time to clean house, folks!

This doesn't surprise me. I do recall after one of those middle of the
night pay raises the US congress gave itself around 1990 a
constitutional amendment was finally approved to address this. The
amendment said that any pay raise congress approves will not take effect
until after the next election. From what I remember, the amendment was
first proposed before 1800. Several times since then it came close to
being passed, but new states were then added to the union so more states
were required to vote in favor of it. When the amendment introduced,
there was no expiration date attached to it. If someone is interested
in the details, look them up yourself. I'm about to go to bed and I
don't feel like it at the moment.

Goodnight.

--

"He who laughs when things go wrong has just thought of someone he can
blame it on." - Benny Hill

Remember them:
Shiri Negari - http://www.shiri.us/