O/T: Attention all Systems Gurus on the list............

Stephen A. Frye s.frye at VERIZON.NET
Sat Feb 12 08:24:51 MST 2005

I said nothing different.  Windows, if we include businesses, probably is
used on better than 95% of the personal/business computers in the
world.  That makes it a huge target, and draws huge number of
attackers.  Hackers don't go after the other OS's.  There's no profit in
it.  Someone writes a devastating virus for a MAC system and it spreads -
well, there's certainly a blow.

Criminals are drawn towards the profit and notoriety.  With the dominance
of windows, that's where those lie!  As you write, with all those attacks.
Microsoft is bound to fight back with counter development.  MAC doesn't
have to the same, because nobody's wasting their time trying to break
in.  Home users of Linux are even a smaller minority, and Linux has it's
own issues of attack when looking at the many of the web and email
servers.  In this case, the Linux servers and Windows servers are pretty
much equally vulnerable.