Poor John F-ing Kerry!

John blueoval at 1SMARTISP.NET
Tue Feb 15 11:07:22 MST 2005

Someone really needs to stamp a large red "L" onto this guy's
forehead.
---

Drowning in Cambodia
By Thomas Lipscomb

It has been a rough ten days for Senator John Kerry. First
Democratic Party moneybags George Soros said Kerry's name on the
Presidential ballot was a dead loser. Then Teresa Heinz Kerry
decided to borrow a dead winner's rather than a live loser's last
name, reverting to "Teresa Heinz" for public appearances. But the
worst day Kerry had was a Sunday answering Tim Russert's questions
on Meet the Press on --- (what else?) ----Vietnam.

Asked about his Christmas Eve in Cambodia "seared, seared" in
Kerry's memory, according to one of his Senate speech transcripts,
Kerry tried a half-baked variation on the theme: "Was it on that
night? No, it was not on that night. But we were right on the
Cambodian border that night. We were ambushed there, as a matter
of fact. And that is a matter of record, and we went into the
rec-- you know, it's part of the Navy records."

To ambush or not to ambush

Alas "as a matter of fact," at least according to Kerry's own
journal, supplied to his biographer Douglas Brinkley for inclusion
in TOUR OF DUTY, "that night" Kerry was in Sa Dec in Viet Nam,
south of Saigon and fifty miles from Cambodia, writing his parents
about "visions of sugar plums." And it isn't "part of the Navy
records" either. An "ambush" would require an official after
action report like the ones Kerry exhibits on is "complete"
website. So either Kerry doesn't include one on this because there
isn't one, or Kerry's website isn't complete, or both.

It gets worse. Under Russert's questioning Kerry has a burst of
sudden recall. "But we did go five miles into Cambodia. It was on
another day. I jumbled the two together, but we were five miles
into Cambodia. We went up on a mission with CIA agents--I believe
they were CIA agents--CIA Special Ops guys. I even have some
photographs of it, and I can document it. And it has been
documented."

Unfortunately there is no indication "it has been documented" and
no one has ever reported seeing "some photographs of it." Admiral
Roy Hoffman commanded all the Swift Boats in Vietnam and had the
responsibility for parceling the missions assigned to him to the
commanders of his bases. According to Hoffman, who commanded Kerry
for the four months he served in Swift Boats, "In all the time I
served in Vietnam, I never assigned a Swift Boat mission for the
CIA to a South Vietnam base like Kerry's at An Thoi. I assigned
Swift Boats for several missions for the CIA infiltrating North
Vietnam but I believe they are still classified."

Hoffman, as Chairman of the Swiftboat Veterans for Truth, is
certainly a Kerry antagonist. But Navy lieutenants do not simply
gather their crews and climb in their Swift Boats, gas up at the
local Total station, buy some ammo at a sporting goods store en
route and go swanning off on "secret missions" their commanders
don't know about. And not one of Kerry's faithful crewmembers who
stood on the stage with him at the Democratic Convention and
exactly none of Kerry's commanders confirmed Kerry's first story
of Christmas in Cambodia and so far, none confirm the Meet the
Press revision, and neither does Douglas Brinkley.

Kerry Admits Running Guns to Communists?

But even assuming there is somewhere a top secret after action
report that backs up Kerry and those nasty Swifties are taking
advantage of the fact that we can't see it because it is still
classified, Kerry proudly told Russert and the world what his top
secret mission was. "We delivered weapons to the Khmer Rouge on
the coastline of Cambodia. We went out of Ha Tien, which is right
in Vietnam. We went north up into the border. And I have some
photographs of that, and that's what we did."

If that is true, the United States should have shaken up the CIA
35 years earlier. The "Khmer Rouge," so named derisively by
Cambodian leader Prince Sihanouk, were the Cambodian communists
who were later to murder millions of their fellow citizens in the
"killing fields" in 1974. "Ridiculous," snorted a former CIA
station chief from neighboring Laos, "That is the equivalent of
delivering arms to the Viet Cong." Robert Turner, an expert on
North Vietnamese and Vietcong affairs at the embassy in Saigon at
the time and now a professor at the University of Virginia says:
"Kerry has gone delusional. This is hilarious." When Kerry was in
Vietnam in 1969 the estimate of Khmer Rouge strength was only
2500. They would have been hard to find, much less deliver weapons
to, scattered around a country of 10 million almost the size of
Oklahoma.

Clearing the records

All this confusion will be cleared up now Russert has gotten Kerry
to agree to sign the Standard Form 180 that will allow the Navy to
release all Kerry's records after a false start or two that has
the ring of Kerry: "I'd be happy to put the records out. We put
all the records out that I had been sent by the military. Then at
the last moment, they sent some more stuff, which had some things
that weren't even relevant to the record. So when we get--I'm
going to sit down with them and make sure that they are clear and
I am clear as to what is in the record and what isn't in the
record and we'll put it out. I have no problem with that." A week
later The Boston Globe confirmed Kerry's pledge "to sign Form 180,
releasing all of his military records." But Kerry does want to
"make this clear: My full military record has been made public."

Except that a day later on The Don Imus Show Kerry seems confused
again about what has been made public, and rededicates himself to
signing the still-unsigned form 180 "Shortly... . As soon as I
get, as required by the military, precisely ... . Because I have a
stack of different material they sent me. Every time they send me
something I want to know what they sent me. I'll get it done.
..."

As a born again Christian, professing compassionate conservatism,
the least President Bush can do is appoint Kerry U.S. Ambassador
to Cambodia before this gets any worse. Perhaps then Kerry can
find out what really did happen before even CBS finally figures
out who ran for the Presidency based on dubious statements about
his military record.

Thomas Lipscomb, who grew up in Oregon, is a senior fellow at the
Annenberg Center for the Digital Future
© 2005 Thomas Lipscomb