O/T: Attention all Systems Gurus on the list............

Carl cwsiv_2nd at HOTPOP.COM
Tue Feb 15 12:57:06 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 17:38, Jim wrote:
> It is a good idea to be wary of popups telling you to click here for an
> important upgrade or patch to windows.  That's one way a lot of people are
> tricked into installing spyware and a lot of other electronic nasties.
> Any trustworthy article online that mentions a problem with windows will
> direct you to the microsoft site where more information can be found.
>
> --
Google for the hosts file which you can install to neutralize 99% of all
popups in browsers.  Be careful with this file the new viruses also edit
it to prevent you from loading anti virual sites.  So watch this file
for early signs of problems and back it up.

yes we get popups in linux and use the same hosts file.

--