O/T: Attention all Systems Gurus on the list............

Carl cwsiv_2nd at HOTPOP.COM
Tue Feb 15 12:57:09 MST 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-12 at 10:10, Dennis Putnam wrote:

> At 08:25 PM 2/11/2005, you wrote:
>
> >Prone?  I don't know that it's any more prone to security issues than any
> >other OS.  It simply dominates the personal OS world, and so, it dominates
> >the target world also.
>
> That's a big part of it but Unix also as the advantage of bring very old
> (as far as OSes are concerned) and has been exploited to the max. All the
> holes are now known and have been closed. The only security risks with Unix
> these days are when new things are added that open up previously closed holes.

And linux being a constantly moving target is even harder to hit with
240+ distros and several versions of same out at one time.  Currently
there are Suse 8.2, 9.0, 9.1 and 9.2 users all on a local list.

Not like windows with only about 6 versions including in311 still in use
some place.  Much easier target.

--