Legislative Heads Up...................

John blueoval at 1SMARTISP.NET
Thu Feb 17 19:33:29 MST 2005

Dear friends,

HR 418, a massively unconbstitutional and un-American
disaster for our freedom, just passed the House of
representatives.  According to The Liberty Committee
(www.thelibertycommittee.org):

"What's wrong with H.R. 418 -- a bill we are told will
stem the flow of illegal aliens through our porous
borders?  For starters, it does NOTHING to stem the
flow of illegal aliens.  Instead, H.R. 418 will:

1. Establish a national ID card.
2. Establish a federally-coordinated database of
personal information on American citizens with Canada
and Mexico.
3. Use the new national ID to track American citizens
when traveling outside the U.S. -- and within the U.S.
4. Re-define "terrorism" in broad new terms that could
include members of firearms rights and anti-abortion
groups or other such groups as determined by whoever
is in power at the time.
5. Authorize the secretary of the Department of
Homeland Security to unilateraly expand the
information included in driver's licenses, including
such biometric information as retina scans and DNA
information --
and even radio frequency identification (RFID)
tracking technology.

Carry a driver’s license with RFID and governmental
officials will know your whereabouts 24/7.

Incredibly, H.R. 418 does nothing to solve the growing
threat to national security posed by people who are
already in the U.S. illegally.
Instead, H.R. 418 states what we already know:  that
certain people here illegally are "deportable."  But
it does nothing to mandate deportation.
H.R. 418 fails miserably on this most critical issue.

The Real ID Act or Real National ID Act will impose a
Soviet-style
internal passport on law-abiding American citizens.
Proponents of H.R. 418
say we must "make sacrifices" like this to control our
borders and fight illegal immigration.  But H.R. 418
is a Trojan horse -- it pretends to offer desperately
needed border control in order to stampede
Americans into sacrificing what is uniquely American:
more of our constitutionally protected liberty.  H.R.
418 does what al-Qaeda could never do
without our help.

H.R. 418 does what legislation restricting firearm
ownership does.  It punishes law-abiding citizens.
Criminals will ignore it.
H.R. 418 offers us a false sense of greater security
at the cost of taking a gigantic step toward making
America a police state.  The terrorists will have
won..."

Link to CNet story on HR 418:
http://news.com.com/National+ID+cards+on+the+way/2100-1028_3-5573414.html

Link to bill text:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c109:2:./temp/~c109Pu92qa::

If any version of this passes the Senate and is signed
into law, which President Bush will do, it will be one
of the final nails in the coffin of freedom in the
United States.  Please call your U.S. senators now and
insist--respectfully but firmly--that they vote
against HR 418 or any form of national ID when the
bill reaches the senate.

Sincerely,
Scott Darby

=====
Scott Darby
Darby700 at yahoo.com
Stop the FTAA--the biggest threat to our soverignty
www.stoptheftaa.org