Euro-Weenies Are Cowards - German Publishing CEO

John blueoval at 1SMARTISP.NET
Thu Feb 17 19:48:06 MST 2005

German CEO Blasts European Cowardice Friday, December 03, 2004
1:53 AM

EUROPE - THY NAME IS COWARDICE
(Commentary by Mathias Döpfner)

[Matthias Döpfner, Chief Executive of German publisher Axel
Springer AG, has written a blistering attack in the daily WELT
against the cowardice of Europe in the face of the Islamic threat.
Hartmut Lau translated the article for us.]

A few days ago Henry M. Broder wrote in Welt am Sonntag, "Europe -
your family name is appeasement." It's a phrase you can't get out
of your head because it's so terribly true.

Appeasement cost millions of Jews and non-Jews their lives as
England and France, allies at the time, negotiated and hesitated
too long before they noticed that Hitler had to be fought, not
bound to agreements.

Appeasement stabilized communism in the Soviet Union and East
Germany in that part of Europe where inhuman, suppressive
governments were glorified as the ideologically correct
alternative to all other possibilities.

Appeasement crippled Europe when genocide ran rampant in Kosovo
and we Europeans debated and debated until the Americans came in
and did our work for us. Rather than protecting democracy in the
Middle East, European appeasement, camouflaged behind the fuzzy
word "equidistance," now countenances suicide bombings in Israel
by fundamentalist Palestinians.

Appeasement generates a mentality that allows Europe to ignore
300,000 victims of Saddam's torture and murder machinery and,
motivated by the self-righteousness of the peace-movement, to
issue bad grades to George Bush

A particularly grotesque form of appeasement is reacting to the
escalating violence by Islamic fundamentalists in Holland and
elsewhere by suggesting that we should really have a Muslim
holiday in Germany.

What else has to happen before the European public and its
political leadership get it? There is a sort of crusade underway,
an especially perfidious crusade consisting of systematic attacks
by fanatic Muslims, focused on civilians and directed against our
free, open Western societies.

It is a conflict that will most likely last longer than the great
military conflicts of the last century - a conflict conducted by
an enemy that cannot be tamed by tolerance and accommodation but
only spurred on by such gestures which will be mistaken for signs
of weakness.

Two recent American presidents had the courage needed for
anti-appeasement: Reagan and Bush. Reagan ended the Cold War and
Bush, supported only by the social democrat Blair acting on moral
conviction, recognized the danger in the Islamic fight against
democracy. His place in history will have to be evaluated after a
number of years have passed.

In the meantime, Europe sits back with charismatic self-confidence
in the multicultural corner instead of defending liberal society's
values and being an attractive center of power on the same playing
field as the true great powers, America and China.

On the contrary - we Europeans present ourselves, in contrast to
the intolerant, as world champions in tolerance, which even
(Germany's Interior M inister) Otto Schily justifiably criticizes.
Why? Because we're so moral? I fear it's more because we're so
materialistic.

For his policies, Bush risks the fall of the dollar, huge amounts
of additional national debt and a massive and persistent burden on
the American economy - because everything is at stake.

While the alleged capitalistic robber barons in American know
their priorities, we timidly defend our social welfare systems.
Stay out of it! It could get expensive. We'd rather discuss the
35-hour workweek or our dental health plan coverage. Or listen to
TV pastors preach about "reaching out to murderers."

These days, Europe reminds me of an elderly aunt who hides her
last pieces of jewelry with shaking hands when she notices a
robber has broken into a neighbor's house.
Europe, thy name is cowardice.