California milage tax

Jim jnantz2 at 216-19-216-108.GETNET.NET
Thu Feb 17 23:12:59 MST 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Stephen A. Frye wrote:

> I don't know where to start.  Two years ago, most posters in this group
> claimed pollution was not a problem.

It isn't here.  I live in the 5th largest city in the nation and I have no
trouble breathing and the water is fine.

> Dozens of blends of gasoline?  Where?

All over the country including California.

> Power plants have absolutely nothing to do with roads and gasoline
> consumption.  Stick to the topic.

Electric cars have batteries in them.  Batteries have to be recharged.
Electricity is required to charge batteries in electric cars.  Tree
huggers in California won't let anyone build a power plant there.

Hybrid cars use an onboard gasoline engine to power a generator which is
used to charge the batteries.  Thanks to the enviro weenies and their
special blends of gas for each city, gas costs more than it otherwise
would.  Also this plethora of blends bullship has caused shortages because
one city's normal supply is interrupted but gas from a nearby city can't
be used because it is a different blend.  This happened in Phoenix a
couple of years ago when a pipeline burst and was shut down for several
days.  Oil companies had to get permission from government bureaucrats to
sell gasoline in Phoenix that was not specially formulated for Phoenix.

> You were the one complaining about the reaction to electric cars, and now
> you're attributing them to the tree huggers.

For years the tree huggers were saying "Use electric cars."  When a few
people started driving them the tree huggers started crying foul because
they're afraid the state will loose tax money when people buy less gas.
This is the same as the states who raised taxes on cigarrettes then
complained revenue from taxes fell when smokers quit.

> You are difficult to follow.

I had no problem following him.