California milage tax

Thomas Matiska tom.matiska at ATT.NET
Tue Feb 22 12:03:38 MST 2005

Remember we are talking about  California.  They have already regulated the "problem" of alcohol.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/advs/advs315.pdf

Just adding 10% ethanol isn’t that simple. Note a few pages into the advisory is defines 5 periods for the 15 various air basins when the volatile content of gasoline is controlled. Further in the document it lists 5 digit daily fines for violating the blending requirements. No small wonder that at the height of last summer’s price gouging , refineries in California were sending some of their blends out of state for sale.

Blends likeE85 and M85 (85% ethanol or methanol) is a different can of worms. Use of MTBE to oxygenate gas for urban areas has gone from being allowed to required to banned in just a few recent years. It’s not just gasoline, control of diesel blends is an issue too.

I spent the last few days checking out CARB (California air Resources Board)  and am now conviced more than ever that California deserves all its problems.

Tom

-------------- Original message from "Stephen A. Frye" <s.frye at VERIZON.NET>: --------------