Prescription drug B.S.

Jim jnantz2 at 216-19-216-108.GETNET.NET
Mon Jan 17 21:37:47 MST 2005

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005, Stephen A. Frye wrote:

> At 05:36 PM 1/16/2005, you wrote:
> >It would seem you don't believe the drug companies use some of their
> >profits to provide drugs free to people who cannot afford them.
>

> That is indeed correct.

Why is this hard to believe?  A kid has a lemonade stand.  For every 10
glasses of lemonade he sells he earns enough profit to cover the expenses
of three more glasses.  In other words he sells 10 glasses of lemonade and
takes in enough money to buy the stuff to make 13.  The kid takes some of
his profit and uses it to cover the cost of a glass of lemonade he gives
to a kid for free.

> >Do you have a problem with drug companies giving away free drugs to people
> >who cannot afford them?
>

> No.  I never said I did.  However, I said, and still say, someone is paying
> for those drugs.  My bet is on the everyday consumer.  I doubt very much
> that the stock holders are footing your drug bill.

The drug company profits come from the sale of the drugs they make.  They
use some of those profits to cover the cost of the drugs they give away
for free to people who cannot afford them.  Lots of companies are involved
in various philanthropic endeavors.  The money they use for these
philanthropic endeavors comes from the profits generated by whatever it is
they sell.