Fwd: CAFTA vote this week--US Independence Endangered

Carl cwsiv_2nd at HOTPOP.COM
Thu Jul 14 10:55:55 MDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 05:27, Thomas Matiska wrote:
> We are talking about closing the barn door, but the horse is already
> long gone.  Everything wrong with CAFTA(and many things are) is
> already wrong with existing trade agreements, except that only Mexico,
> China, and a few other developing countries benefit from the status
> quo.
>

> The idea of improving trade relations with our backyard neighbor at
> the expense of communists and other less desirable trade "partners"
> (enemies) on the other side of the world isn't that bad if you see
> this not as a as an "us vs them", but as a "them vs them".
>

> I can understand the ALF-CIO not liking it, but any trade agreement
> that China hates also can't be all bad, and too bad for China if they
> don't like it.   Their campaign donations in the 90's may have helped
> influence trade deals during the Clinton era, but those days are gone.

You do not have to join hands with communist nations to the south to
stick it to China.  Make the existing deal with mexico more inclusive
with tax incentives there and some revaluation to reverse the earlier
Mexican devaluation.

--