Texas Lawmakers Wasting Taxpayer Dollars

Tue May 10 01:13:57 MDT 2005

By United Press International
Source: United Press International

Texas cheerleading bill has uncertain fate

AUSTIN, Texas (United Press International via COMTEX) -- The Texas House
narrowly passed a bill to crack down on suggestive cheerleading moves,
but its fate is uncertain in the Senate.

The bill authored by Rep. Al Edwards, D-Houston, was passed on a vote of
65-56, but the measure has no sponsor in the Senate, The Dallas Morning
News reported.

Edwards, an ordained minister, admonished some members who joked about
his bill during two hours of debate.

"Our 12, 14, 16, 18-year-old girls can get out and do all these overly
sexual performances and we applaud them. And that's not right," he said.

Responding to critics who said the Legislature has more important
business, Edwards said there is nothing more important than children.

Rep. Senfronia Thompson, a fellow Houston Democrat, was one of the
toughest critics of the bill.

"It's an embarrassment and indictment of this body that this kind of
garbage has reached the floor of this House," she said.

The bill would give the state authority to direct a school district to
respond to complaints regarding "overly sexually suggestive"
performances.