A Database In The Dept. of Edu???

John blueoval at 1SMARTISP.NET
Fri May 13 16:53:55 MDT 2005

              Free Congress Foundation

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

May 12, 2005

FREE CONGRESS FOUNDATION, EDWATCH AND EAGLE FORUM TO DEPARTMENT OF
EDUCATION:

UNPLUG PLANS FOR THE STUDENT DATABASE

Washington: Three leading conservative organizations are
registering opposition to the Department of Education’s plans to
create a national database to track college students. The proposed
database would keep track of every college student and is expected
to receive consideration by Congress this year.

The database is supposed to monitor graduation rates and college
costs.

Stephen M. Lilienthal, Director of the Center for Privacy and
Technology Policy at the Free Congress Foundation, warned that
plans to keep track of individual students is unacceptable.
“Constructing this database is an irresistible invitation for the
bureaucrats in their cubicles at the Department of Education to
engage in mission creep. This proposed database represents a
steady expansion of the personal federal data collection in K- 12
and early learning programs. It is the perfect vehicle for the
Federal Government to keep closer and closer tabs on students
while at the same time lessening their privacy.”

Michael D. Ostrolenk, Education Policy Director of EdWatch and
Eagle Forum, said, "I question the need and appropriateness of
even having a Federal Department of Education let alone giving it
even more authority and power in terms of keeping track of
American citizens engaged in formal education.  The Federal
government has too many databases full of very private information
on Americans as it is, and does not need to create any more.  In
fact, if the history of State power tells us anything, there
should be moves to abolish many of the databases in existence
rather than expand them.”

The database has drawn opposition from the National Association of
Independent Colleges and Universities and the U.S. Student
Association. U.S. Rep. John Boehner, Chairman of the House
Committee on Education and the Workforce, has also expressed
opposition to the plan.

###

Free Congress Foundation is a conservative research and education
foundation committed to

traditional values, free enterprise and constitutional liberties.

More information about the Free Congress Foundation can be located
at: http://www.freecongress.org

Contact: Stephen M. Lilienthal at 202-543-8794 or via e-mail at
slilienthal at freecongress.org

EdWatch is committed to educating the public about the
unprecedented movement of the U.S. workforce, the U.S. economy and
the entire educational system toward a centrally planned and
controlled federal system.

More information about EdWatch can be located at:

http://www.edwatch.org

Eagle Forum has been leading the pro-family movement since 1972.

http://www.eaglefourm.org

Contact Michael D. Ostrolenk at 301-717-0599 or via e-mail at
mostrolenk at comcast.net