Dispicable!

John blueoval at 1SMARTISP.NET
Thu May 26 10:28:17 MDT 2005

May 25, 2005

“MOTHER F—KING TERESA”

COURTESY OF VIACOM

Catholic League president William Donohue wrote the following
today:

“In the 12 years that I have been president of the Catholic
League, I have never witnessed a more vicious attack on
Catholicism than what appeared this week on the Showtime program,
‘Penn and Teller.’  The episode, ‘Holier Than Thou,’ was a frontal
assault on Mother Teresa and her order of nuns, Missionaries of
Charity (as well as Gandhi and the Dali Lama).

“Like most Americans, I like parodies and have no problem, per se,
with irreverent humor.  But when humor becomes insult, that is a
different story.  And that is what happens here: comedy quickly
morphs to vitriol.  Indeed, as the show progresses, the level of
anger becomes palpable and the degree of distortion becomes
mindboggling.  This is no comedy—it is Nazi propaganda right out
of the Leni Riefenstahl school of filmmaking.

“The Mother Teresa that the world has come to love and revere is
made to look like a cruel, exploitative, self-serving nun who
ripped off the poor.  We are told that Mother Teresa intentionally
let the poor suffer, providing neither beds nor bathroom
facilities.  ‘She had the f—king coin and pissed it away on
nunneries,’ says Penn.  As for the nuns who worked with Mother
Teresa, they are referred to as ‘f—king c—ts.’

It does not bother me when they call me ‘Catholic Boy’ on the show
(though the term ‘Jew Boy’ would never cross their lips), nor does
it concern me when they talk about ‘f—kers like Bill Donohue [who]
only see good in her.’  But when they mock the Catholic Church’s
teaching on the meaning of suffering, and when they say of the
poor that ‘They had to suffer so that Mother F—king Teresa could
be enlightened,’ then they are behaving like monsters.

“We will mail a tape of select portions of this broadcast to many
interested parties, including the bishops.  And we will hold a
press conference tomorrow outside the hotel where Viacom is
holding its annual stockholders meeting.  They haven’t heard the
end of this yet.”

Kiera M. McCaffrey
Director of Communications
The Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights
450 Seventh Avenue
New York, NY 10123
212-371-3191
212-371-3394 (fax)