Flush it, Smear it, Burn It

Jose jrojas at MINDSPRING.COM
Fri May 27 16:54:11 MDT 2005

This is not a knock on Newsweek, they've had their fair share of criticism.
They published what they believed to be a reliable report of the flushing of
the Koran.

You know I have a very difficult time seeing this as a cause for murder. If
someone were to flush or burn the Bible in front of me, I would be offended
but I wouldn't go on a murdering rampage. My God is not in that book, my God
exists regardless of a book.

Newsweek was doing what any news magazine does, publish stories that we hope
have been verified. The radicals of that world will use any excuse to attack
us, Newsweek just provided them the reason of the week. They will have other
excuses very soon I'm sure. It is tragic that American soldiers are caught
in the middle of crazed maniacs and our journalists.

Segway to Abu Ghraib. I looked for a list of tortures at Abu Ghraib. I found
a site that is not pro-Administration and according to them,
"This is just what the military could confirm as having happened:" (List
Below)

Now pardon me for being heartless but except for the obvious physical
actions (rape, dog bites, acid burns, and beatings), I don't see the rest of
the list as being "torture." Certainly they are annoying, embarrassing,
uncomfortable but torture? Come on.

I am trying very hard to not argue the ends justify the means but what were
the soldiers trying to get out of the detainees? I'm guessing is that they
were seeking information that would in the end save lives, Iraqi and
American. Knowing that, I have a very hard time seeing as most of the acts
below as torture, maybe there's something wrong with me, I kind of doubt it.
I just hope the military continues to use most of the acts below to get
valuable information.

As for the Koran, I say flush it, smear it, burn it, destroy it. Will the
act of seeing their "holy" book cause some terrorists to give us valuable
information? If so, then Just Do It.

I'm off my soapbox now, I've had a lousy day but four days to enjoy. Have a
great weekend everybody.

Jose

----------------------

http://www.rotten.com/library/crime/prison/abu-ghraib/
" . . .this is just what the military could confirm as having happened:"

a. (S) Punching, slapping, and kicking detainees; jumping on their naked
feet;

b. (S) Videotaping and photographing naked male and female detainees;

c. (S) Forcibly arranging detainees in various sexually explicit positions
for photographing;

d. (S) Forcing detainees to remove their clothing and keeping them naked for
several days at a time;

e. (S) Forcing naked male detainees to wear women's underwear;

f. (S) Forcing groups of male detainees to masturbate themselves while being
photographed and videotaped;

g. (S) Arranging naked male detainees in a pile and then jumping on them;

h. (S) Positioning a naked detainee on a MRE Box, with a sandbag on his
head, and attaching wires to his fingers, toes, and penis to simulate
electric torture;

i. (S) Writing "I am a Rapest" (sic) on the leg of a detainee alleged to
have forcibly raped a 15-year old fellow detainee, and then photographing
him naked;

j. (S) Placing a dog chain or strap around a naked detainee's neck and
having a female Soldier pose for a picture;

k. (S) A male MP guard having sex with a female detainee;

l. (S) Using military working dogs (without muzzles) to intimidate and
frighten detainees, and in at least one case biting and severely injuring a
detainee;

m. (S) Taking photographs of dead Iraqi detainees.

a. (U) Breaking chemical lights and pouring the phosphoric liquid on
detainees;

b. (U) Threatening detainees with a charged 9mm pistol;

c. (U) Pouring cold water on naked detainees;

d. (U) Beating detainees with a broom handle and a chair;

e. (U) Threatening male detainees with rape;

f. (U) Allowing a military police guard to stitch the wound of a detainee
who was injured after being slammed against the wall in his cell;

g. (U) Sodomizing a detainee with a chemical light and perhaps a broom
stick.

h. (U) Using military working dogs to frighten and intimidate detainees with
threats of attack, and in one instance actually biting a detainee.

CONTRAST

Tales of Saddam's Brutality
http://www.whitehouse.gov/infocus/iraq/tales.html