Man Fired By American Red Cross For Not Celebrating Homosexuality

John B Hammes Sr economic56 at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Sep 1 21:11:04 MDT 2005

I'm wondering what the source of this information is.  Is it verifiable?  Is it an "urban legend"?

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Richard A Whitenight
  To: RUSHTALK at athena.csdco.com
  Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2005 8:14 PM
  Subject: FW: Man Fired By American Red Cross For Not Celebrating Homosexuality

  Why am I not surprised by this action by the ARC?

  Man Fired By American Red Cross For Not Celebrating Homosexuality

  The American Red Cross fired an employee, Michael Hartman, for expressing his disagreement with homosexuality.

  Hartman had been a volunteer and donor for the Red Cross for over 30 years when he became an employee at the San Diego, California, center.  He had been there for about eight months when, in the latter part of May 2005, a mass e-mail was sent to employees reminding everyone that June was Gay and Lesbian Pride Month and employees were encouraged to "observe" the celebration.

  The e-mail, distributed by Chief Diversity Officer David Wilkins, stated, "It is my pleasure to announce that June will be recognized as Gay and Lesbian Pride Month at national headquarters..It is only fitting that we reinforce our organization's commitment to inclusion.by recognizing this important group and celebrating the many accomplishments they have made to our organization..I'd like to take this opportunity during the month of June to encourage field units to extend their reach into gay and lesbian communities."

  As a Christian, Hartman was concerned by the e-mail and expressed his sentiments to his female supervisor, "who did not care." He then e-mailed several head administrators, who immediately called him into the Red Cross regional center in Pomona, California. Hartman was reprimanded and told that his e-mail was "not appropriate."

  The "inappropriate" e-mail that Hartman sent contained the following statements:

  "I would like to start by stating that I am a Christian not willing to compromise my beliefs to promote the agenda of the homosexual community. I would also like to say that I think it's disgraceful that while most of us [at the Red Cross] are trying to save lives, a select few are using this organization to promote their own lifestyles which in my opinion are unacceptable."