Katrina Observations

Dennis Putnam dap1 at BELLSOUTH.NET
Sat Sep 3 04:28:29 MDT 2005

I was watching some of the coverage of the terrible plight that New Orleans
residents are facing at the Superdome. There was a vent by a woman who was
understandably frustrated, demoralized and angry. What caught my attention
was who she blamed. Bush of course. Now I don't know how much media
coverage she had access to but I doubt it was much. So I asked myself where
did she get the idea that Bush was to blame? She didn't blame the idiot
mayor nor did she blame the completely inept governor of LA, certainly not
herself, but she blamed Bush. I also note that NO ONE is blaming clinton or
Democrats for cutting the defense budget (real cuts not cuts in the size of
increases) so that the Army Corps of Engineers has only been able to
minimally improve the levees (interestingly the part of the levee that did
breach was one that was improved during clinton's cuts). Is it a known fact
that the levees were only built to withstand a cat 3 hurricane. It has also
been a discussion (typical Democrat strategy) for 2 decades that the levees
were inadequate but all of a sudden it is Bush's fault. Then it occurred to
me that this is a perfect example of the success of liberal indoctrination,
particularly of poor black Americans. This woman has clearly been
indoctrinated to think as a liberal and instinctively thought that every
problem is caused by Republicans and every problem can/must be fixed by the
federal government. Complete dependence on government in general and the
federal government in particular. The liberals have a victory in that woman.

There is no question that people knew NO was in trouble days before Katrina
hit. The hurricane was predicted to reach a strong cat 5 by landfall near
NO. It is a known fact that the levees can only withstand a cat 3.
Evacuation was ordered days in advance. NO is built 10 feet below sea
level. What the hell did people expect to happen? Here is where I blame the
mayor and governor. Why were the hospitals not evacuated immediately? Why
were hundreds of busses not sent into the streets by the mayor and/or
governor to begin transporting people out of the city? I confess that I
actually though this was being done, along with tent cities being erected
inland, when the evacuation order was given (it never even occurred to me
that it might not be). What surprised me the most was that nothing was done
other then giving the order itself and that so many people stayed in the
city (many stayed specifically to loot and commit crimes, they should be
hung). Are the mayor and governor so stupid that they did not know there
were thousands that could not leave because they had no transportation or
were indigent? I think the answer is yes. This is not 20/20 hindsight.
Nothing that happened was unpredictable (except perhaps the magnitude of
criminal activity by people exploiting the tragedy of their neighbors and
adding to it). I find it hard to believe that even at the Superdome with
all that misery, there are scum raping, stealing and sniping (maybe I am
naive but this sounds like something terrorists would do, not Americans to
fellow Americans in such trouble). Now there are Iraq and Afghanistan
hardened NG units in NO. I hope the order was given to shoot looters and
snipers on sight.

Although there has been a lot already, as time goes by the left will use
this tragedy for maximum political advantage. The mayor of Atlanta has
already embarrassed the city and Georgia by playing the race card. She said
that the reason federal response was so slow (it was not slow just
inadequate for such an unprecedented magnitude of destruction) is because
NO is mostly black. Never mind that this disaster is of historical even
Biblical proportions. A magnitude of which is completely unprecedented.
When in US history has a natural disaster been of such magnitude that it
destroyed an entire city the size of New Orleans? Of course the response
was initially inadequate. No one has ever dealt with something of this
magnitude. It was like getting hit in the head with a 2 X 4. At first one
is stunned, human reaction is one of disbelief. Reaction time goes to zero
until one recovers one's senses. However, the response to this disaster,
which could not have been different by anyone (even Hillery), will be
exploited by the left to diminish Bush and in turn Republicans for the sole
purpose of regaining political power. It will become a Bush-bashing-fest as
time passes. This is a make or break time for Republicans. Will they come
out of this like Rudy Gulianni's or will they come out like Kofi Anon's?
Will Americans come out of this like Americans or like Frenchmen?

"No arsenal or no weapon in the arsenals of the world is so formidable as
the will and moral courage of free men and women ... [Solving our problems
requires] our willingness to believe in ourselves and to believe in our
capacity to perform great deeds, to believe that together with God's help
we can and will resolve the problems which will now confront us. And after
all, why shouldn't we believe that? We are Americans." Ronaldus Magnus

Ah, Dutch, how we miss ye.